Trying to remove plastic knob on side vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gardendelite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gaetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello all, any idea how to remove the knob on the side vent? 1975 K10. Might be a better thread location. Let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpeg
    IMG_0543.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 5

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Seems like there’s a clip at the far end on the vent flap. Be careful with it, I believe those are discontinued and good one are hard to find.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Only early squares have the cable vent controls. Later models, the vent pull is all plastic. To remove the knob, remove the cable from the vent. Disconnect the loop of the cable at the vent door. The cable assembly is locked in the plastic vent cover with spring loaded fingers. Remove the screws holding the plastic cover over the vent.

Now with the cover and cable off, you can accesses the fingers to push the cable assembly out. Cut the rubber knob off with a hack saw, don't cut the metal stem. I did this so I could install my chrome metal knobs.

Gardendelite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gaetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you to for the replies. I came to the same conclusion but the confirmation is good to know. Think I will tape everything and paint the kick plate in place. Seems like the lesser of two evils.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I couldn’t find a great picture but

The plastic rod hooks to a “u” shaped rod that slips through 2 holes in the vent flapper. Can’t remember for the life of me what the clip looks like.

The whole assembly isn’t too bad to remove from the cab, the upper screws are a little tough to get at and the foam gaskets can tear when you peel the panel off but gaskets are easily fixed or replaced

You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Gardendelite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gaetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Interesting, yours came out as a complete unit. I am going to see if mine will do the same. Thank you!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@CalSgt

The vent doors on early squares have a cable

Geatan asked how to remove the knob from the cable. It is not removable, but the whole cable assembly can be removed.

Many metal parts of squares were changed out for plastic parts to reduce weight. Squares were designed when fuel was less than 40 cents a gallon. Government CAFE numbers forced all the changes.

Gardendelite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gaetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you. I attempted to gently remove the knob but experience told me to give up and ask advice. Much of my current wisdom comes from bad decision making.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
push248