Tires Plus says my Dually tires are too heavy to balance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So. I took off my 6 wheels from my 86 GMC Dually 3+3 and the new tires to Tires Plus to Mount and balance. They mounted them but said my stock wheels with new tires are too heavy to balance and that I should just put beads inside to balance my wheels. I have never heard that my tires are too heavy before. I have had my 35” tires balanced many times and have never had trouble before. What gives? Were they just too lazy? I’m taking them to the place I buy my trailer tires ( car/truck 18’ trailer) and they said they will balance them. They are the ones who balance my Mudder tires also. Tires Plus has really turned into a joke in my area. The hefty woman ( Tires Plus rep )came into the waiting area munching on a taco and we couldn’t hardly understand the hefty woman. Maybe try to talk to customers WITHOUT munching on food. Customer service is DEAD. What say you guys? Ever heard of this before? Tires too heavy?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Huh… Ive had a few sets of 37’s on heavy beadlock wheels balanced no problem at random little shops

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Someone wants to sell beads. I ran a variation of this on the steer axle with reasonable success, but your 3+3 isn't class 8. Seems kind of weird of them to say that. Maybe the balancer was broken (drunk) that day?

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Seems the balance beads work. Seems like a lazy excuse though. I've had my 35's on 15's balanced too.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I've been told this a couple times in the past. First time (I was like 19 and this was my first truck and first set of mud tires, so I didn't know any better) was stock '05 Silverado 17" wheels with 295/70/17 mud tires (roughly 33s) that weighed 77lbs each. I let them put the balance beads in and it worked great. Second time was years later and I knew better, 20x9 chrome wheels with 305/55/20 (still 33s) mud tires (funny, both sets were Nitto Trail Grapplers) at Discount Tire and I told them there's no way you can't balance 33s. I'd understand if I was doing 40s or something. They were just being lazy, took it to my buddy across town at Kauffman and they did it no problem.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Most balancers have a safety shield of some sort. Maybe it won't clear? Another possibility is just that they don't want to do it. Tires that size [weight] usually take 2 people to mount them on the arbor. Takes some effort.

Employees today are lazy, employers are forced to live with it.

A truck tire shop should be able to do it.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think that might be my problem, too. My tires are 65lbs and rims 44. After I had them put on, felt wobbly.

pduffyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Worst case. Static balance them yourself.
Put an old spindle in a well mounted vice. Mount the wheel and let gravity do its thing. Tape on fishing weights on the inside the wheel rim at the top until the wheel wont spin on its own to another location. Mark where the weights are, take them off and weigh them, buy rim knock on weights, and it should be close. My 2c worth

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
When I get responses from the so called, "professionals", I just look at them and say, "You must think I'm some kind of an idiot." "You might sell that snit to somebody else, but daddy didn't raise no idiot."

If they are brazin enuf to try and pull crap like that, I got no problem calling them out on it. What are they going to do? Beat me up? 17 reasons says, not likely!
I hear it mostly in big chain auto parts joints.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
I don’t even think Large Marge was tryin to sell you balance beads….
Sometimes you just go somewhere and they’re all wearing Velcro shoes and you feel like donating to Jerry’s kids before you leave.
Guessing that was the case. Lol
Although balancing must be difficult cause I had Doscount Tire not balance my trailer tires even though I told them to. But those are nice shiny little 14” aluminum rims.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Worst case. Static balance them yourself.
Put an old spindle in a well mounted vice. Mount the wheel and let gravity do its thing. Tape on fishing weights on the inside the wheel rim at the top until the wheel wont spin on its own to another location. Mark where the weights are, take them off and weigh them, buy rim knock on weights, and it should be close. My 2c worth
I've done them right on the car this way,but used tape weights on the inside of the rim,temporarily masking taped until I had things situated. Pull 1 front wheel and push the pads in so the rotors don't drag. Mount up a wheel,spin it when it stops put a mark at 6 oclock rotate that mark to 10 o'clock let it go see if it stops at 6,now rotate to 2 o'clock let it go see if it goes to 6. Tape some tape weights at 12 until 6 is no longer a heavy spot divide the weight stick half at 10 half at 2 peel your tape weights, and stick the weight at 10 and 2 as close to the center of the wheel as you can. Also done balance beads,also done bubble balance. First choice when I don't have access to a real machine, is a good bubble balancer,Next,flip a coin I don't have a problem with beads or static balance. Crap,wrote all this up and realized you have a K, you can't do this. Sorry. Well you can do it,but you have to make a jig. Do them off the truck on 2 saw horses If you want to know how, respond,back I'll tell you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garybest