Tilt Steering Column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
My son and I are working on on his 75 High Sierra K15. Right now, we're getting ready to paint, but the steering is going to need some work, shortly, and it may need a new column, in addition to a gearbox. It's a 4 speed auto. It would be real nice to have tilt steering, as the cab is pretty tight. Has anyone got any experince with LMC's tilt column? Are there tilt columns from other rigs that will work, that would be cheaper than LMC's, or this: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ididit-steering-column-chevrolet-c10/p/STC121-V/ (which should fit a K15 too, right?).

Would be nice to have a slightly shorter one too, though I see in some other threads, that people are just using some smaller dia wheels, which would work, too.

Thoughts? My 16 year old so is paying for all that, and it would be nice to find him a cheaper option, he's got a bit of sticker shock, having just bought paint...

While I'm at it, too, I've got a gearbox out of a 1980 dually. Assuming that it would fit my boy's truck, how could I test it to see if it's any good?

Aaron

Muddybuddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I think 75 and 80 will have the same hose fittings on the steering gear, i believe in 81 they went to bubble flare w/ oring vs prior was double flare. You can change the fitting on back of pump to match whatever box you have, but easier to just get right one.

Is there a rush to get the column? If not, and are patient you can probably find one used to save some money. Would want to confirm no slop, otherwise may need to be rebuilt.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Too bad that you are a long way from SETX, I have a couple of used factory square body tilt columns I would let go for a reasonable amount. The 73-83 units are the same; 84 is when they went to the multi function switch with dimmer switch in the column. Big box on left side of the column around where the stick comes out. 73-83 don't have that, and that's how the columns I have are.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Has the ‘75 transmission been swapped with something newer? There was no 4 speed auto in ‘75.

I’m also confused about your mention of a replacing the gearbox. Do you mean the transmission or the transfer case?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think 75 and 80 will have the same hose fittings on the steering gear, i believe in 81 they went to bubble flare w/ oring vs prior was double flare. You can change the fitting on back of pump to match whatever box you have, but easier to just get right one.

Is there a rush to get the column? If not, and are patient you can probably find one used to save some money. Would want to confirm no slop, otherwise may need to be rebuilt.
close
1979 or 1980 is the first year of the o ring

I have the o ring, 1980

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My son and I are working on on his 75 High Sierra K15. Right now, we're getting ready to paint, but the steering is going to need some work, shortly, and it may need a new column, in addition to a gearbox. It's a 4 speed auto. It would be real nice to have tilt steering, as the cab is pretty tight. Has anyone got any experince with LMC's tilt column? Are there tilt columns from other rigs that will work, that would be cheaper than LMC's, or this: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ididit-steering-column-chevrolet-c10/p/STC121-V/ (which should fit a K15 too, right?).

Would be nice to have a slightly shorter one too, though I see in some other threads, that people are just using some smaller dia wheels, which would work, too.

Thoughts? My 16 year old so is paying for all that, and it would be nice to find him a cheaper option, he's got a bit of sticker shock, having just bought paint...

While I'm at it, too, I've got a gearbox out of a 1980 dually. Assuming that it would fit my boy's truck, how could I test it to see if it's any good?

Aaron
you need to change the gate on the shifter from a 3 speed (1975) to a 4 speed. you could also use a column out of a LOT of gm vehicles if you dont mind the appearance of different color trim or steering wheels( you can change that)

I could put my 1990 oldsmobile 88 column in my 1980 gmc

But the wiring would be differnt since 1990 has the turn signal switch like the 1984+

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Has the ‘75 transmission been swapped with something newer? There was no 4 speed auto in ‘75.

I’m also confused about your mention of a replacing the gearbox. Do you mean the transmission or the transfer case?
Sorry, I now realized I said 4 speed auto, not 4 speed manual, which the truck is.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Sorry, I now realized I said 4 speed auto, not 4 speed manual, which the truck is.
if you dont mind the extra component, swap an auto column in with tilt (more came with tilt than manual ones) and then just remove the shift lever

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203
What vehicles came with the telescoping column? You turned the center cap to lock and unlock it.
They were usually all tilt.

Oldbear42

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 LWB Scottsdale
Engine Size
What vehicles came with the telescoping column? You turned the center cap to lock and unlock it.
They were usually all tilt.
A '67 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight did. Lots of the old luxury cars had them

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
C3 Corvettes had telescopic columns if I am not mistaken.

TheBlazerBeam

Reaction score
First Name
Blaze
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 V8
You can go with a new tilt column but finding a donor truck with a used tilt column is a better bet. Take it apart, rebuild it, replace the old parts. Your kid will learn a ton doing it and have a greater appreciation for it.

Then I would go with the Wolff engineering lower steering column bearing which will clean up a lot of slop that these trucks have.

A UV joint steering shaft is much better than the stock with a rag joint; that should help too.

dragstews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Body 1954, frame 1975
Truck Model
R-100
Engine Size
406 ci SBC
A '67 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight did. Lots of the old luxury cars had them
That's what I did ...

You must be registered for see images attach

Running a 75 Cadillac Coupe De Ville column on a 75 K15 ..
Being both are GM (From the same era) the wiring plugged up with no mods ..

In the mode of installing a custom steering wheel on it at the moment ..

Which required a special adapter for the telescopic lever to work ...

The adapter was made for 77 and up columns which has two inches of travel .. 76-back has three inches of travel ..
Some work will be needed to extend the adapter a inch to make it look like it belongs ..

Reason for a woodgrain steering wheel is the dashboard being painted wood ..

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...0zJ05GkIjBQ_pafTecv4SuW5MKP5T5g&__tn__=EH-R-R

Last edited:

etedeschi72

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The Square Body Syndicate website has a floor shift tilt column that's 2" shorter than stock BUT, it's not cheap. But it's there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy