tilt steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuyc10

Reaction score
First Name
jesus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I recently bought this steering column. I realized the steering wheel is loose and had a lot of play. I started taking it apart for a rebuild and where the joint connects it is moving in and out. Is this normal or what am i missing?

Attachments

• IMG_5782.png
    IMG_5782.png
    427.8 KB · Views: 13

sickchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
There are 4 reverse t8 blots that need tighted down and it will take the slop out.

Attachments

• 20240622_074138.jpg
    20240622_074138.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 14

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
depends what is moving in and out. The shaft is a collapsible (for car wrecks). If that is what is moving in and out a lot it’s broke. If it’s the metal housing, there are four bolts that need to be tightened - this is very common.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Several youtube videos showing how to fix this,

Here is one LINK

chuyc10

Reaction score
First Name
jesus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There are 4 reverse t8 blots that need tighted down and it will take the slop out.
I have it here and th
just checked it and the bolts are not loose just the shaft goes in and out

chuyc10

Reaction score
First Name
jesus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
depends what is moving in and out. The shaft is a collapsible (for car wrecks). If that is what is moving in and out a lot it’s broke. If it’s the metal housing, there are four bolts that need to be tightened - this is very common.
i had it before, pulled it from a burban and it wasn’t doing all this until i went to fix the key. The shaft moves in and out and it was causing a problem which didn’t allow the wheel to sit tight

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
the shaft moving , find out if its moving at the rag joint while playing with the column , because between itself in the column or the external part would be different repairs. there should also be column bearings which wouldnt want the shaft moving in that plane all the time, but since your wheel is not on, im wondering if that is maybe from that, but not causing your issue at hand?

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check the collapsible coupling of column- in engine compartment- see if it’s moving in and out. I personally don’t have much experience with it since I haven’t had to deal with it myself -

Glad to see AuroraGirl.

chuyc10

Reaction score
First Name
jesus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
the shaft moving , find out if its moving at the rag joint while playing with the column , because between itself in the column or the external part would be different repairs. there should also be column bearings which wouldnt want the shaft moving in that plane all the time, but since your wheel is not on, im wondering if that is maybe from that, but not causing your issue at hand?
i’ll see what i can do, I don’t have any experience with this i just wanted a tilt column instead of the one i have. I bought parts to rebuild it. I just don’t understand why it moves in and out so much even with the joint off

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
Sounds like nylon pin that joins the upper to lower shaft is broken. If you hold the lower end of the shaft in a vise, see if you can move the upper section where the tilt ball is in and out. If so the pin is sheared.

chuyc10

Reaction score
First Name
jesus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sounds like nylon pin that joins the upper to lower shaft is broken. If you hold the lower end of the shaft in a vise, see if you can move the upper section where the tilt ball is in and out. If so the pin is sheared.
okay thank you i’ll check it out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawyer0162