The Best Carburetor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm sorry they refuse to let us in on the secret. Makes you wonder doesn't it?
No secret, I just don't know of a link that has everything. I rebuilt my first Qjet about 1980 and just kept learning as time went on. Doug Roe I bought his book because everyone kept talking about it. It's a good book to learn 44 years worth of hard learned stuff in a week. Online any posts you can find from Lars at digital corvettes will be good information. Now as to the Edelbrock stuff people don't realize it's a repop. of a 1964 Carter AFB c. Stock 300hp 327 carb NBD Chevrolet replaced them with the Qjet in 1965 and kept updating them until 1986. So in my opinion a 2nd generation Qjet your starting point is 10 years more advanced plus any updates after that point..
Fun fact 1977 ish. My go to was old Impala carbureators and a torker manifold, then it was Holleys,then it was Qjets.

Last edited:

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was hoping you would post some of those "tricks" you mentioned

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I was hoping you would post some of those "tricks" you mentioned
Best tips are going to be check your your primary throttle bushings,they probably need rebushed,if you don't have the tools,don't want to buy the tools,redrilling the body makes you nervous,I can tell you how to make cheater slip in Teflon bushings. Make sure you clean all the passages and emulsion tubes. I have a collection of cut up guitar strings for doing this. Always replace the float,use a non windowed needle and seat and test it. Modify for adjustable apt. Make sure timings right get your idle right first,then jet primaries,then jet secondary. Learn to set the tension on the secondary air doors.

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Wow, no one has said anything about a Edelbrock AVS2 carb. I'm really leaning into getting one.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Practice what you preach.
This is for my big block, small block stuff is cheaper and more plentiful.

I pulled this Performer manifold out of the swap 5 years ago for $125 and that was still a good deal.
They are currently $368 at Summit and the ebay clones are $159.
You must be registered for see images attach

In 2022 at a different swap meet I plucked this 750 cfm Holley out for a mere $40.

The PO was trying to get it to work on an engine that was out of whack, so they thought the carb was part of the issue.
Gave up on the engine and we bought it.

I gave junior permission to buy what he deemed needed for it and he spent another $160 on upgrades and a full jet kit.
My 20 year old son then took all the parts and rebuilt the carb and it runs quite well on the truck now.

Here are the above parts that he installed on the truck.
Now it is a hoot to drive.

I still have the Q-bog, but it has the worn throttle shaft syndrome.
So it will just be occupying a shelf for the foreseeable future.

The engine has a wimpy little RV cam in it that was put in years ago.
When I bought the truck is would barely turn the tire over on dry ground.
Simple traditional modifications of carb, intake, headers, and exhaust, now it is a whole different animal.

Last edited:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
If you are so inclined to start looking at random carbs from strangers, here is where to look before you buy.

2 years ago at the swap meet.
I spotted this Holley in a booth and it looked super clean.
Price tag was $75 so I put my hand on it to stake it as mine for the time being.
(It is seen sitting atop the BB Performer RPM manifold for the next engine in my truck also from the swap for $225 and Summit has them for $391 currently)

I told Max to get his phone out and look this number up for me, 80570.

His search came back with that I was going to save myself $551 for a carb that was only used to run a cam in for 20 minutes.

Max asked what I needed a small carb like this one for.
I told him not to worry about it as I have another carb at home that could use the electric choke and fuel inlet for and that was nearly what this complete unit cost.
This carb ended up sitting on his 307 that motivates his '49 Chevy.
He no longer asks "what do we need this for?" at the swaps.

In 2023 I must have taught him right, he found this 670 cfm street avenger for $100 and snapped it up.
We will have a use for it in the near future with 2 more V8 cars getting put together soon.
It has a number in the same spot that tells us of what it is or started as, 80670-1.
This one is currently $620 at Summit.

And a couple months later, I found something I wanted at the next swap.
Dude wouldn't budge on his price for the steering column and wheel for $150, so I asked if he would take $225 for the column / wheel and the dirty old Holley he had on another table.
Dirty old Holley was in fact an 850 cfm double pumper with a Proform main body and base plate that he wanted $150 for as well.
Since this one has aftermarket parts on it, it was pretty simple to see as the CFM is stamped on the side of the main body.

I ended up getting the package as it was raining and everybody wanted to pack up and go home.
But that is when I get the best deals as a buyer.

With the a 570, a 670, 2 @ 750, and 1 850 cfm carbs we have, I still have not spent as much as one new carb.
They will all of course be gone through before we put them to use, but if the 2 we are currently using are an indicator of what we have things will be good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdan