Test Drive Etiquette

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofast321

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Looking to get some ideas and opinions on test drive etiquette. I have a running 72 Camaro, for sale on Craiglist. Its not a show car and needs some work but it is in pretty good shape. I have had a few tire kickers come look at it and ask to test drive it. Any classic car I have ever bought (its only been 3) I never ask drive the car. I look it over thoroughly and if I think its a car I would purchase, as one of the last steps before making an offer, I have the owner drive it with me in the passenger seat.

The last 3 people that I have had come look at this Camaro have asked to test drive it and its been a disaster. The first two barely knew how to drive a stick and were grinding gears and stalling it out. The 3rd almost ended in a fist fight. He looked it over, asked to drive it and took it out on the road. He was able to drive it with no issues. The problem came when we hit a straight away (25 mph speed limit) and he hammered it. We were easily doing 80 mph and rev'd it well over 5500 rpm. The belts flew off it and he killed the engine by turning the key off. He said that the throttle got stuck. I have owned the car for 20 years and never had the throttle stick. I was pi$$ed. I understand you want to run the car though its paces to make sure everything is in good shape but I can't believe people beat on cars they don't own.

How do the rest of you handle people that want to test drive cars you are selling? At this point I'm inclined to not let anyone test drive again.

Thanks!

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looking to get some ideas and opinions on test drive etiquette. I have a running 72 Camaro, for sale on Craiglist. Its not a show car and needs some work but it is in pretty good shape. I have had a few tire kickers come look at it and ask to test drive it. Any classic car I have ever bought (its only been 3) I never ask drive the car. I look it over thoroughly and if I think its a car I would purchase, as one of the last steps before making an offer, I have the owner drive it with me in the passenger seat.

The last 3 people that I have had come look at this Camaro have asked to test drive it and its been a disaster. The first two barely knew how to drive a stick and were grinding gears and stalling it out. The 3rd almost ended in a fist fight. He looked it over, asked to drive it and took it out on the road. He was able to drive it with no issues. The problem came when we hit a straight away (25 mph speed limit) and he hammered it. We were easily doing 80 mph and rev'd it well over 5500 rpm. The belts flew off it and he killed the engine by turning the key off. He said that the throttle got stuck. I have owned the car for 20 years and never had the throttle stick. I was pi$$ed. I understand you want to run the car though its paces to make sure everything is in good shape but I can't believe people beat on cars they don't own.

How do the rest of you handle people that want to test drive cars you are selling? At this point I'm inclined to not let anyone test drive again.

Thanks!
You Never, Ever beat on someone else's vehicle. This was a complete lack of respect. This moron needed an attitude adjustment. I would not let anymore strangers drive it. Especially since most of the population can't drive manuals. They can ride with you driving. Other than friends and family this would be my rule.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have to read the people. Many cannot drive a stick as you found out. People today are also very disrespectful.

About 20 years ago sold a Boss 302. The guy who bought it never drove it and didn't ask. I let him jack the car up and look it over all he wanted for hours. Showed all the parts receipts, title and purchase paperwork.

Suppose you could take it to an auction with the associated costs.

Agree with the previous poster you drive it with them in the car. If that's not good enough respectfully explain why. If the car is a solid decent Camaro that should be enough. Doubt there are many good Camaros for sale PA.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Some kid took my brothers Corvette out for a test drive. After 3 county law enforcement chase the car was totally used up. They tried stop sticks, but had run flat tires. At one point he was doing 140 on the wrong side of St. Rt. 33. He is still in prison....

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
you drive. Let them test the steering where it sits.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I'd be dipped if I'd assume the liability of letting someone I have no knowledge of drive a vehicle I own. If the customer knows enough about what they're buying they will be able to make their evaluation based on an inspection and a test ride as a passenger. If they don't, recommend they have a pre purchase inspection done by a competent mechanic, or recommend a Prius or a Tesla.

gofast321

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I appreciate all the feedback. I needed a sanity check and you guys definitely helped. I'm going to stop letting anyone else test drive it. I think I also need to somehow try to put some restrictions on who even goes for a ride. Like I need a deposit or something to try to eliminate the tire kickers / joy riders. This has been a real eye opener for me. The lack of respect for other people's property has been a shocker.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looking to get some ideas and opinions on test drive etiquette. I have a running 72 Camaro, for sale on Craiglist. Its not a show car and needs some work but it is in pretty good shape.

That disclaimer should be emphasized in person as well, but I'll be honest, anyone that demands they run a driver quality 50 year old Camaro before driving doesn't know the market for 50 year old Camaros. Every single truck I sell has a contract that says "As is with no guarantees". I tell every prospective buyer I am a handshake type of guy; my word is my word and if there is a problem I will tell you.

A 3K truck? "Bring cash, a trailer and help."
A 5K truck? "Hey bud, I guarantee it right up to when I close my gate behind you".
A 10K truck, I'll take you for a test drive, buckle up.
A 10K+ truck? Don't advertise it on Craigslist.
Ask me questions now so you don't complain later. Offer to jack it up, pull wheels, do a compression check, whatever.

Know your market; if you want idiots and low balling nimrods, advertise where idiots and low balling nimrods hang out.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I mostly agree with everything above. However, unless it's a complete and total project that obviously isn't road worthy, I won't buy a car without driving it. If it's got a drivetrain I think could be driven for a good while as is, I want to drive it. I would happily give a deposit to do so.

I hate that it's come to that, but I agree with everybody saying you take the buyer for a ride. After that, if it were me (assuming I had a good read on the customer and felt they can be trusted), I would offer a test drive after a deposit. If they drive it respectfully, the deposit goes toward the purchase. If they're not and don't buy it, it's non-refundable.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches

Thanks!
Man, what an A.H. Probably why he needs a car - he destroyed his. I would not let them test drive it, instead take them for a ride.

J. B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krash