Square-body?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
We were calling them squarebodies in high school 22 years ago, so I know it's been around at least that long.

What throws me is calling 88-98 "Old Body Style"
I guess anything with the word "new" or "old" in the name is bound to become outdated.

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
We never called 'em that.

They were C/Ks, then GMT400, then GMT800, then GMT900, then K2 and then T1.

Then I retired.

K
So - I was thinking about this further -

One of this things I've been accused of is claiming to be "everywhere" "all at once" back in the day. Obviously that's not the case, but I thought capturing a summary somewhere of all the stuff I worked on might be appropriate.

Here goes:

C/K:
Vehicle assembly (Flint) – Production supervisor
Engineering/assembly liaison
Development Engineering (Milford Proving Ground) - Overall vehicle; Ride/Handling; Brakes; Noise and Vibration

GMT400:
Driveline Development (Desert Proving Ground)
Brake Development (Desert Proving Ground)

GMT800:
Design/Release – Engine air induction system
Program Level Engineering Management
.....2001 Denali
.....2002 Escalade
.....SUV Midcycle
.....Wrote engineering plan for original H2 (“Project Maria”)
.....2003 Pickup midcycle
.....2008 Hummer
.....2011 Volt

GMT900/K2/T1:
Design/Release Pickup Cab underbody structure and pickup box (and van underbody structure)

Design/Release:
Low volume production/show vehicle

Basically I didn’t do interior, and I didn’t do electrical. Anything mechanical (body/chassis/powertrain) I worked on.

K

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

One of this things I've been accused of is claiming to be "everywhere" "all at once" back in the day. Obviously that's not the case, but I thought capturing a summary somewhere of all the stuff I worked on might be appropriate.

Here goes:

C/K:
Development Engineering - Overall vehicle; Ride/Handling; Brakes; Noise and Vibration

GMT400:
Driveline Development
Brake Development

GMT800:
.....2001 Denali
.....2002 Escalade
.....SUV Midcycle
.....2008 Hummer
.....2011 Volt

GMT900/K2/T1:
Design/Release Pickup Cab underbody structure and pickup box (and van underbody structure)

Design/Release:

Basically I didn’t do interior, and I didn’t do electrical. Anything mechanical (body/chassis/powertrain) I worked on.

K

And our '00 Burb is still using the stock airbox and duct, no aftermarket tube and cone filter for us :)

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
And our '00 Burb is still using the stock airbox and duct, no aftermarket tube and cone filter for us :)
Thank you for that.

A couple stories of how the system came to be:

The system was capacitized for the "big engines" of the day: the L18 8.1L large block and the 6.2L diesel.

Flow restriction specification (from GM Powertrain) was a ridiculous 1" Hg restriction at "max flow", from the ambient air inlet to the intake valve. Since that was essentially unachievable, and since we (the vehicle side) cannot control what goes on inside the engine, we negotiated that back to "from ambient air inlet to the throttle body inlet", which was more in line with what we could control. Max flow was established as 272 g/s.

Since the system was designed around the biggest engines, that means it was over achieving for all the smaller engines (4.3L, 4.8L @ 212 g/s, 5.3L @ 230 g/s and 6.0L @ 242 g/s). So, from a restriction standpoint, you should not see any improvement in going to an aftermarket air induction system.

From a cold air standpoint - the gains from air inlet temperature reduction are enough to offset any increase in flow restriction, but we also had stringent air inlet temperature increase requirements that were met. The fender inlet shields the intake from hot underhood air, while also preventing water ingestion (those two requirements are typically at odds with one another).

Lastly, the tuning devices that you see: quarter wave tuners and helmholz resonators, are not in the flow stream and do not affect restriction. They are tuned to attentuate specfic targeted frequencies, and absorb the energy pulses as they radiate backwards out of the throttle body.

Bottom line - the production system was designed by a "hot rodder" and was consciously packaged and components chosen to minimize flow restriction; an aftermarket intake is incrementally directionally correct in some aspects, but probably not measureable.

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Second story:

There are some "architectural" things we did, too, that you might not notice. These were required to even give us a shot at getting in the game.

The '96 and beyond GMT400 models had the round element air cleaner on top of the fender, with the battery in the RF corner (passenger front) of the engine compartment.

It became obvious to me that I needed a flat filter in that spot to minimize the turns in order to even have a chance at meeting the aforementioned very aggressive flow requirement. So - I started a movement to displace the battery to some other location. Naturally the battery guy wasn't very happy about that.

We were stuck in a stalemate until the Chief Engineer, Ken Sohocki, took notice and called us into his office. He made each of us pitch our idea. In my case, I had actual flow data generated on the bench using rapid prototype material, and could demonstrate the effects with objective test data. The battery guy's response: "but we've always been right here".

The Chief's direction was swift and clear: "Seymore - you get the front corner. Schaule - find another spot".

So he moved the battery to the front of dash (rear of the engine compartment) so that he would have some structure to support his bracketry.

The engine air induction has been in the RF corner since that time, for GMT800, GMT900, K2 and now T1 generations of full size truck.

K

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Here goes:

C/K:
Development Engineering - Overall vehicle; Ride/Handling; Brakes; Noise and Vibration

GMT400:
Driveline Development
Brake Development

GMT800:
.....2001 Denali
.....2002 Escalade
.....SUV Midcycle
.....2008 Hummer
.....2011 Volt

GMT900/K2/T1:

Design/Release:

K

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMOTT