Should my TBI's fuel pressure act like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This would be an interesting test. But I returned the fuel pressure test kit to Auto Zone yesterday - having already made up my mind that I should get a new fuel pump.
If I'm still having issues after the new FP is installed, I'll circle back to this post and try your test.

You can still do this test without a pressure gauge. If you disconnect the oil sender with several wires (not the one with a single wire) and it no longer starts, then you know the issue is with the fuel pump relay or circuit.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yep thats whatcha want - one of them adjustable deals. I dont know how it works but when ppl get to "tuning" on their tbi after making more power OR looking for more power..that is often the answer.
They get them gooder sprangs.
It's sure where mine was headed...needed more gas.
I know about changing the fuel pump ground wire AND I have chased a loose fitting hose inside the tank too. Similar symptoms.

Worm gear clamps are your friend. :)

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
the pressure regulator controls the pressure between the pump and the regulator that feeds the injectors. it bleeds off any excess pressure into the return line. so you can measure pressure just after the fuel filter at the flex line (where I have my adapter installed) or at the TBI on the supply line (have to bend the hard line to get adapter in) or anywhere else you could between the pump discharge and the regulator at the TBI and the pressure will read the same.

and if the pump primes with key on, the fuel pump wiring and relay are likely good. disconnecting the oil pressure switch is a good check. but i bet it starts the same. i dont think 2 or 3 sec of cranking is building enough oil pressure to start. I'd be looking at trying to figure out if the power is somehow getting cutoff to the fuel pump circuit during cranking momentarily and verifying that the fuel pressure is really going to 0 during initial cranking.

Last edited:

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
o-rings everywhere.
Don't forget the OEM fuel filler hose and vent hose are probably dry rotten and leaking from rock hard rubber in the filler lines.

Last edited:

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
For full disclosure I’m a carb guy through and through and my knowledge of TBI is limited, but I have an ‘88 K5 with 350/700R4 that’s 100% stock. I bought it from my uncle who is the original owner, he’s a retired mechanic and does all his own work. When he sold me the Blazer he gave me a heads up that it takes extra cranking time to fire up, not drastic but like a carbureted engine waiting for fuel to pump to the carb. He said it’s because there’s a check valve in the fuel line (I believe it’s on the pump but not 100% sure) that’s supposed to keep the fuel line charged with pressure for instant starts. He said through ordinary wear and tear the check valve has wore out. It hasn’t completely crapped the bed, but fuel slowly bleeds past it back into the tank. So if it’s not sitting for long it fires right up, but if it sits for hours or overnight or longer the fuel system loses pressure and takes a few seconds longer than it should to prime and get fuel to the TBI.

I never bothered to pressure check the system to see if you and I are experiencing the same sort of pressure drop because at this point it’s not a big deal for me. A few extra seconds of cranking, but when it fires up it runs fine. I’ll ask my uncle about your issue next time I see him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdcon18