Should my TBI's fuel pressure act like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaysnCayne

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hi all. I've got a mostly-original TBI system atop the mostly-original 305 in my '87 SWB.

It seems to be working fairly decent other than I feel it should be starting a bit quicker than it does (takes about 3ish seconds of cranking to light off when cold 2ish when warm) and should definitely be getting better mpg than it does (~13mpg). It's definitely running rich according to the tail pipe smell.

I put a fuel pressure test gauge on it this evening and found the (what I believe to be original) fuel pump quickly makes 12psi when I turn the key to the start position. But when I hit the key to start it, the FP just as quickly drops to 0-1psi and then takes about 3 seconds to build to 12psi at which point the engine starts. And then it holds quite steady at 12psi. When I shut it off, the psi drops to zero within a couple seconds.

Is all the above fairly normal? Or should the psi never drop after the key is turned on? And should it hold and then lose pressure more slowly after it's shut off?

(Full disclosure: I swapped a L31 roller cam into it. And installed my own dual exhaust. But it's totally stock beyond that.)

Attachments

• IMG_7139.jpg
    IMG_7139.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 10

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
turning the key to ON will prime the pump for a couple seconds. after the prime, the pressure will bleed off. not sure why the pressure drops to 0 for the first couple seconds of cranking. I've never done that test with mine, but intuitively it seems like the pressure should be there during cranking....

RaysnCayne

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I would think the same thing, thus my query to the TBI brain trust here.
A friend into LS's told me their fuel system does the same thing: 58psi key on, then drops to 0 and pumps quickly back up to 58 upon hitting the key.

RaysnCayne

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Anyone??? Please!
Is fuel pressure supposed to dip to zero right after key on?
And it's falling quickly to zero after shut off normal? (Or a sign of a weak FP?)

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Anyone??? Please!
Is fuel pressure supposed to dip to zero right after key on?
And it's falling quickly to zero after shut off normal? (Or a sign of a weak FP?)

right after key on, yes. it primes for 2-3 sec when key on and then the pump turns off. I don't know if it should drop to 0 during cranking, but that doesn't seem correct. have you looked in the emissions and drivability manual?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Figured it was easier to film it than explain in text. Engine was cold but had been started a minute earlier while I tried to get the correct lighting. Gauge is attached to an Aeromotive 13301 regulator and supplied by a Walbro pump.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

YakkoWarner

Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Having played a lot with this part of the system recently, I'm wondering if what you're seeing is the fuel pump relay switching off while cranking, but then it starts after a couple seconds because the oil pressure switch is forcing the fuel pump back on once pressure builds.

Try disconnecting the 3 pin connection from the oil pressure switch temporarily, and see if it still starts after a couple seconds of cranking. If it does, then you're still getting power through the fuel pump relay - if it doesn't then that would indicate that fuel pump is running only from the oil pressure switch. Note that you won't have a valid oil pressure gauge while doing that test, but it will give a data point on where the fuel pump is receiving power from.

RaysnCayne

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Sounds to me like fuel filters are really cheap!

You'll need an open-ended 5/8 AND a 1" wrench. Get ya a Sharpie and write the mileage on it.
Put a brand new one on it just before I put it on the road about 6 months back.

RaysnCayne

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Figured it was easier to film it than explain in text. Gauge is attached to an Aeromotive 13301 regulator and supplied by a Walbro pump.

Thanks for the video, John.
That's exactly how I'd imagine most any healthy FP (stock or Walbro) should act.
I'd pretty much already made my mind up that I should get a new FP (I have no idea how old my current one is). But your video pretty much seals the deal.

RaysnCayne

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Try disconnecting the 3 pin connection from the oil pressure switch temporarily, and see if it still starts after a couple seconds of cranking. If it does, then you're still getting power through the fuel pump relay - if it doesn't then that would indicate that fuel pump is running only from the oil pressure switch. Note that you won't have a valid oil pressure gauge while doing that test, but it will give a data point on where the fuel pump is receiving power from.

This would be an interesting test. But I returned the fuel pressure test kit to Auto Zone yesterday - having already made up my mind that I should get a new fuel pump.
If I'm still having issues after the new FP is installed, I'll circle back to this post and try your test.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ok got it.

The fuel pressure spring is broken. Eh?
Now is the time to improve fuel pressure and hook up that adjustable regulator thingy they do - with the improved sprang.

Well...we're waiting

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mechanicwannabe