Red Oxide Primer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Fat 454, thank you for the insight it has been very helpful. I think I am overthinking it and I will just go with a darker tremclad top coat, thin it with mineral spirits like I did the primer, and give it a few coats and call it a day.

To the others that replied, does applying a hardener just make the paint cure faster (like a catalyst) or does it literally make the paint harder?

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Denis71,

Thank you for the photos, your squarebody looks great. The reason I wanted to shy away from red is because here in Canada, especially in the town where I live, the RCMP love any excuse to hammer down on hotrods and I think red just makes my heat score of a truck even more of a heat score. I thought about going with “leather brown” as it is one of the top coats that tremclad offers.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
When I was going that direction, I purchased this:

It was my understanding it would make the coating harder and less prone to washing off if you over filled your fuel tank and it spilled on your paint. It was recommended in a paint thread and had great reviews.

I’m interested in your results and the paint longevity. In some ways, I wish I would have went that direction because I have been sanding down previous paint for way too long since it has 7 coats of paint and primer on it. The yellow coat was oil based enamel that wasn’t hard so it stick to sand paper. I planned to use safety orange from Tractor Supply store. Brown should look good, looks good in red oxide primer too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84K30dually