Rear brake bleeding struggles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yours shouldn't have a button. I'd buy a centering tool, unplug the harness from the brake warning light,unscrew the brake warning light. Look at the end of the warning light switch that little Plunger drops into a groove in the shuttle to turn the light off. You should be able to get the shuttle to center by pumping the brake pedal,then opening a front bleeder while holding pressure on the pedal,I've heard of people using a small screwdriver to move the shuttle to center. I've never tried. I believe the threads on the switch are 1/2 x 20 to improvise a centering tool I'd drill the end of a 1/2 x 20 bolt a stick a piece of a nail in the drilled hole. Look on line for a centering tool,a pic and it will make sense.
I think that's a button on the left (it pushes like a button). The plug is in there very tight. At this point I still haven't been able to remove it. This pic makes it look easy to access. The pic lies.

So Am I correct: I need to figure out how to unplug wire, unscrew it and then use a pick or something to recenter it and then use the holder tool to bleed everything?

I'll acquire a holder tool as that sounds like it's required.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think that's a button on the left (it pushes like a button). The plug is in there very tight. At this point I still haven't been able to remove it. This pic makes it look easy to access.

So Am I correct: I need to figure out how to unplug wire, unscrew it and then use a pick or something to recenter it and then use the holder tool to bleed everything?

I'll acquire a holder tool as that sounds like it's required.
You must be registered for see images attach
That's not a button it's a rubber dust cap that seals the valve, don't eff with it,you can't get a new one.And I'd try centering the valve with the pedal first, pump it 3 or 4 times then push and hold while somebody opens right front bleeder. If that doesn't do it,then try centering the shuttle with a small screw driver. Yes you unplug the wire from the switch,unscrew the switch,screw in the centering tool and bleed the brakes.

Last edited:

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's not a button it's a rubber dust cap that seals the valve, don't eff with it,you can't get a new one.And I'd try centering the valve with the pedal first, pump it 3 or 4 times then push and hold while somebody opens right front bleeder. If that doesn't do it,then try centering the shuttle with a small screw driver. Yes you unplug the wire from the switch,unscrew the switch,screw in the centering tool and bleed the brakes.
Here's where I'm lost - If I can get it centered now, can I bleed the rear without the tool?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Here's where I'm lost - If I can get it centered now, can I bleed the rear without the tool?
If you get it centered if no one touches the pedal again, you can vacuum bleed them. If you try to two man bleed them without the centering tool, I don't see you successfully doing it. As for gravity bleeding them IDK,that's a flip of the coin depending on whether you have residual pressure valves either in the master cylinder or combination valve,the standoff valve may prevent it also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihtblzr