Rear brake bleeding struggles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
74 k20. I'm new to these things aside from dirt bikes and quads.

I don't know if the rear brakes were working before but the pedal was mushy. I bled the front brakes fine (ish).

When I went to bleed the rear left the vacuum wasn't pulling any fluid at all. The bleeder screw was cleaned out before trying. So I tried the old pedal pump method and that seemed to work.

I was afraid I messed up the proportioning valve but I'm assuming that this was not the case if the rear left was working.

It still seems odd that it worked pumping but not vacuuming. No biggie. Got a few bubbles out and topped off the reservoir.

On to the right side rear. Cleaned out the bleeder screw (brake cleaner, small wire). Note: neither side leaked fluid with the bleeder screw removed. Maybe that's normal for rear brakes.

The vacuum wasn't pulling anything so I tried the pedal and nothing was going to that drum at all from the pedal.

I have the proportioning valve that has the little reset button for the front (I believe).

Any thoughts of how I should diagnose this? It almost seems like that line from the split on the axle is clogged because I could pump fluid through the rear left. That said the brakes on the rear are not working at all.

Also when pumping the brakes we do this with the motor off. I'm assuming that's correct.

Normmus

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe the rubber part of the line is collapsing when applying the vacuum, and a seized right rear wheel cylinder?

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe the rubber part of the line is collapsing when applying the vacuum, and a seized right rear wheel cylinder?
That would explain the vacuum failure.

If it was seized, wouldn't brake fluid still come out of the bleed screw?

Bleeding brakes is something I've failed at with motorcycles/quads/mountain bikes and now trucks :D. The nice thing with this truck is I really don't even have to remove the tire to bleed it. It's pretty easy to access from the back.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
If you had to clean out the bleeder screw, and no fluid came out of them, the wheel cylinders are shot.
Good news is , if the bleeders came out, you should be able to get the brake lines loose without much issue.

Normmus

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yes it should, but the steel line could be blocked between the flex hose and wheel cylinder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bwoodbury1