PVC and PEX for Compressed Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I finally got time to look at the info on the larger header pipes in the ceiling.
I got our local rep in for quote. It’s a product called AirNet, comes in 20’ lengths. It’s basically a “Push Fit” for commercial applications.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Thats the stuff we have used in compressor rooms lately, it is MUCH easier than the 4 and 6" welded pipe we typically would do otherwise. We have run a fair amount of groovelock piping lately, which is probably a good midpoint between the aluminum pipe and welded/threaded steel. Aluminum is fastest, grooved pipe has to be cut on a saw and have a groove rolled with a threading machine, but then it butts up against the fitting and a 2 bolt red clamp is installed (you see a lot of this stuff for fire protection/sprinkler lines in commercial/industrial applications). Once we get down to 2" in the actual plant, it pretty much becomes threaded black iron pipe which leaks more but is easier to fix when it does. Pex would not survive in our shops, but it will do just fine at my home shop.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
And unlike steel or copper pipe, I've seen no condensation in PEX. The compressor has an automatic bleeder on it and a copper precipitation coil (looks like a moonshine still) to remove condensation right after the tank.

Just a note, the condensation doesn't necessarily go anywhere, so if it doesn't sweat out in the lines, it is making it to the end use point/tool. But having your setup right after the compressor should get the bulk of it out, and anything critical needs a dedicated dryer anyway. Just mentioning here in case anyone gets the impression that running pex eliminates the need for dumping moisture, it doesn't. If anything, it makes it more important to get the moisture out before it gets to the lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kp55