Power steering leaking from weep hole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
So yesterday, after some top end work, I decided to go ahead and put my A/C system back together in and start vacuuming the system.
Well, as I was installing the compressor, I look down, and the power steering pump is flowing out of a weep hole on the back of the pump. When I say flowing, I mean FLOWING. Like a constant drain. And this was with the engine off and cold (hadn't even been started yesterday).
Data:
When the pump is full, it's perfect. Nice and quiet. No issues turning the 33's whatsoever.
Three questions:
1. Why would it just start flowing like that just from installing the compressor? I've always had a little PS leak, but nothing like this.
2. Why is it leaking from the weep hole? Is it like a water pump weep hole, like a signal to change it out?
3. Will a seal kit fix it? lol

I don't want to replace it, as I've read many horror stories about rebuilds from the local parts places, so I'm hoping a rebuilt kit will do the trick. Going to replace the lines as well.

Thanks in advance y'all!

Oh, and any guidance or walk throughs on changing out the oring on the input shaft(see below?) seal on the gearbox would be awesome!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
You have the gearbox pictured but mention the pump. I don't recall either having a weep hole like a water pump has. The pump may have a breather hole in the cap but the pump itself as well as the box should not. Hydraulics don't work well with air because air compresses and fluid does not. I would say a probable culprit could be the pitman shaft or input shaft seals on the box or the hydraulic transfer hoses from the box to pump. The A/C system should have no effect on the pump with the exception that they share a drive belt for rotation.

HS

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply Strick.

The picture was for an input seal that I'm pretty sure is leaking as well on the gearbox. The pump is definitely leaking, and if I'm lucky, all the oil on my steering gearbox is coming from the pump.

Speaking of, there is definitely a hole of some sort on the back of the pump. I could see fluid leaking out of it. I'll get some pics tonight when I get home.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Think I know what's happening. Isn't there supposed to be a bolt in that hole? If so, can I just use a regular bolt?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Think I know what's happening. Isn't there supposed to be a bolt in that hole? If so, can I just use a regular bolt?

If that's where it's leaking from, yeah you need to get another bolt to plug that hole

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outrageous