NAPA Power Steering Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Am I to understand you need your PS pump to have the stud on the back for it to mount on the bracket which also tensions the belt? As an idea, you could junkyard a much newer saginaw and use an aftermarket bracket which does not need the stud and have OEM quality and have a pump that is much younger and has some of the minor upgrades found over the years. I also advise a magnetic filter inline the return.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
The stud should just unthread. Saginaw pumps did not change much in the basic sense.

I’d just take the pump apart and inspect the shaft/seal, could be the bushing worn too. They are not real complex, take pictures and have a FSM handy if needed. Seal kits are available on places like rock auto for small $$.

Unfortunately “reman” does not follow a universal standard. So one company might pull a unit apart and inspect/replace parts as needed, another might replace all wear parts, a third might check it and paint it and re box it.

Cardone really can be a hit or miss supplier. Hard parts like caliper brackets are one thing, things with seals/bearings/bushings is another.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The stud should just unthread. Saginaw pumps did not change much in the basic sense.

I’d just take the pump apart and inspect the shaft/seal, could be the bushing worn too. They are not real complex, take pictures and have a FSM handy if needed. Seal kits are available on places like rock auto for small $$.

Unfortunately “reman” does not follow a universal standard. So one company might pull a unit apart and inspect/replace parts as needed, another might replace all wear parts, a third might check it and paint it and re box it.

Cardone really can be a hit or miss supplier. Hard parts like caliper brackets are one thing, things with seals/bearings/bushings is another.
Some pumps dont have a provision for the stud. I found that out when I tried to put one of my used ones on my square, my bracket required it. I think AC truck pumps needed it more than non ones. I found another bracket on a spare SBC I have in my shed, used that instead.

dabranco12

Reaction score
First Name
Branden
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C10 Suburban
Engine Size
So a few years ago NAPA switched venders on thier power steering pumps. The new pumps were good but I remember warrantying out SEVERAL reman pumps until the point I would sell new at a discounted price. Now as for using high mileage fluid there is a seal swelling (reconditioning agent) in the fluid do not use that on new components as it can/will cause leaks on sealing areas. Using ATF fluid is fine it is basically just hydraulic fluid with a cleaning agent in it to keep dirt and debri suspended in the fluid. Side not avoid ATF with friction modifiers (ATF type 4).

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So a few years ago NAPA switched venders on thier power steering pumps. The new pumps were good but I remember warrantying out SEVERAL reman pumps until the point I would sell new at a discounted price. Now as for using high mileage fluid there is a seal swelling (reconditioning agent) in the fluid do not use that on new components as it can/will cause leaks on sealing areas. Using ATF fluid is fine it is basically just hydraulic fluid with a cleaning agent in it to keep dirt and debri suspended in the fluid. Side not avoid ATF with friction modifiers (ATF type 4).
Thats not the only factor, at least to factor seals eventually gm had changed their recommended fluid because dexron adversly affected the seals they used. Whos to say that matters to the aftermarket seals? im not quite sure but heat creation, air suspension in the fluid(a component to the heat creation), and seals were the primary reasons for GM.

But, as said, not sure about these remans. The seal swelling really should only affect the o ring on the valve and the reservoir and the cap, i dont see how it would affect the bronze/brass bushing but maybe there is more seals Im unaware of?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Are you over tightening the belt? It's a common problem, DIY shoves the biggest pry bar in he can find has his buddy hold tension while he tightens the bolts you should have a half inch deflection on the long side of the belt. As @legopnuematic
stated pull it apart check the bushing,change the seal. I am lazy and first would just change the seal and run as little belt tension as I could get away with.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I bought a Napa pump a few months ago, haven’t got to try it yet but hope to soon.
I like my local Napa store, the guy is very knowledgeable and they have as good or better parts than anyone else in my opinion.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Who makes the hoses, just curious?

Try a normal PS fluid. High mileage PS fluid sounds like PS fluid with stop leak. The PS pump doesnt see mileage it sees temperature and revolutions in a much different ratio than an engine, and much less seals and also just a hydraulic circuit not a crankcase. I cant see what a high mileage means in that scenario. If you are handy you can replace the seal yourself its fairly simple as far as things go
I go to a hydraulics shop and they make hoses for me. GM uses funny fittings, so they made an adapter from the pump, and used standard parts for the rest of the hose. I told them how long I wanted it so it fits correctly.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My O original pump still in place after 44 years. Previous owner took it apart and cleaned it. Don't know about bearings. 6 cylinder pumps are very similar or identical to V8 pumps. No leaks, no problems. It used to leak, but it was the hoses, which I replaced.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just a note about Napa. I worked for them for 2 years about 5 years ago. A friend of mine was made district manager, and they have been working on eliminating "old" parts from their inventory. Parts for our Squares will slowly fade from their shelves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually