OIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey All
How often do you change your oil in your old Chevy 350 with High Miles ?

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
3000-5000 depending on driving. Lots of short trips closer to three, nice highway driving getting things nice and up to temp I have no issues with 5000.

Quality air filter, working pcv system all help keep oil cleaner. I also always run the larger oil filters (used on medium duty’s) and always Wix filters (or other quality equivalent).

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
3000 is rule of thumb. To know actual oil condition at change interval, get an oil analysis done by someone like Blackstone. Results are very revealing in other areas as well.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ya all Sounds grea!t I was just curious. I do a oil change every 2500 to 3000 and do have my oil analysis done through work it was very bad for a while now its back to OK with some common metal wear! Use 10w-30 regular oil with Lucus Heavy Duty oil stablizer 1qt

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Honestly, I’m just glad to find oil still in it more often than not.;)

On a serious note, 3k to 4K seems reasonable. You could maybe even push it to 5k with certain synthetics. The overall condition of the engine in question could play a part too. This is definitely a “Mileage may vary” type answer to such a question. Also remember that even you “waste” oil by changing it too early, you’ve still spent less on the new oil and filter than you would’ve on an engine replacement that results from habitually changing it late, if at all.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Between 3-4k on anything I own. New or old. Synthetic or conventional. Lucas oil stabilizer and 10-30 oil with a wix or Ac Delco filter. Everything I have is gm.
I’d look a bit deeper into the Lucas. Everything else sounds good.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@Frankenchevy What good or bad with Lucus? There is a lot of snake oil out there

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I want to add something, miles is not the only consideration with oil changes. Time is also a consideration. Change oil at least once yearly. The oil mixes with oxygen,condensation,etc and can sludge up in oil passages and or become acidic,etc. Just be cause you only drive your car 500 miles a year in parades,doesn't mean you can change the oil every 6 years. Yes that's an exaggeration, but it makes the point more clear.

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I want to add something, miles is no the only consideration with oil changes. Time is also a consideration. Change oil at least once yearly. The oil mixes with oxygen,condensation,etc and can sludge up in oil passages and or become acidic,etc. Just be cause you only drive your car 500 miles a year in parades,doesn't mean you can change the oil every 6 years. Yes that's an exaggeration, but it makes the point more clear.
I drive my 77 K10 1k to 2k per year.Change oil each year because of these reasons.My truck is parked outside in the weather also.Not in a climate controlled garage

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203
Change mine every 3K or so. I use K&N big filters (used to use GM) and a magnetic oil drain plug is a good friend too.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@Frankenchevy What good or bad with Lucus? There is a lot of snake oil out there
Lucas is basically a filler that dilutes your oil’s additive package. I read a study where Lucas was used with many name brand oils and it universally caused more wear and issues based on oil analysis.

Modern oil shouldn’t need any additive’s. If it does, you are using the wrong oil. There are quite a few experiments surrounding oil, additives , etc. none of which have been conducted by myself. So consider everything I type here as me just regurgitating the studies I’ve read.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lucas is basically a filler that dilutes your oil’s additive package. I read a study where Lucas was used with many name brand oils and it universally caused more wear and issues based on oil analysis.

Modern oil shouldn’t need any additive’s. If it does, you are using the wrong oil. There are quite a few experiments surrounding oil, additives , etc. none of which have been conducted by myself. So consider everything I type here as me just regurgitating the studies I’ve read.
I put Lucas in a hemi once and it made the engine noisy.I drained it all out and never used it again.An oilman told me that motor oils contain stabilizers.And adding more to their balanced mix just wasn't necessary,and only messed up the proper additive package balance.And because of each brand having different detergents,to not mix brands of oil in the same engine.To get the best benefit.I can agree with this, If anyone doesn't,it matters not to me.I do me,you do you! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outrageous