Odd “knocking” noise at high RPM while WOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letgomyleghoe

Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci
Hi,
I’m brand new to the forum so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place. I recently replaced my stock intake and carb on my 1974 c10 350 with an edelbrock air gap rpm and 1406 combo I got off Craigslist. The factory smog pump system and manifolds are still on the truck, which is my next project. After swapping the intake and carb I notice this odd grinding/knocking noise, I only hear it about a second before the shift at WOT, never during normal driving. I thought it may be my lifters so I set the preload on those to no avail, been messing around with timing as well, which seemed to help for the first pull, but promptly started again on the next. I’m honestly stumped at this point, hoping it’s not rod knock or a ground off cam lobe, any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
What did you set your timing at? Initial or total.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
been messing around with timing as well, which seemed to help for the first pull, but promptly started again on the next.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Did you tighten the distributor hold down before the test after fooling with the timing?
That one has gotten us a time or four....

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
When in doubt, cut the oil filter open. If there is internal issues, you will see the shrapnel in the filter long before you hear anything.

If the filter is clean, safe to say it’s not a disaster problem. What’s the total timing, and does the vacuum advance make a difference?

letgomyleghoe

Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci
Did you tighten the distributor hold down before the test after fooling with the timing?
That one has gotten us a time or four....
I gave it the good and tight, not sure the exact torque.

letgomyleghoe

Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci
What did you set your timing at? Initial or total.
I looked this morning before work, initial timing with vac advance off is at 14* btdc, didn’t have time to mess with it much, gonna try and set it to maybe 10 or 12 and see how it runs.

letgomyleghoe

Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci
When in doubt, cut the oil filter open. If there is internal issues, you will see the shrapnel in the filter long before you hear anything.

If the filter is clean, safe to say it’s not a disaster problem. What’s the total timing, and does the vacuum advance make a difference?
I don’t have a light for total timing, gonna get one and check tonight. I’m guessing this is my issue as I only experience the issue at WOT high rpm with likely 0 or near 0 vacuum.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Set it at 8 or 10 initial and you should be good. Try each one and see how it feels and sounds. No need for an advance "total" timing light.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Sounds like just barely too much timing. I would say about 10-11 initial. Definitely should check total too.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A vacuum gauge can be helpful if you’re not sure about the timing also.

letgomyleghoe

Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci
So I figured it out, had the distributor connected to manifold vacuum which would add about 20* of timing at idle. With the extreme advance at idle I could only get it to run right at idle or while driving, connected it to ported vacuum set the timing to about 12 and it runs great now with no detonation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bow-Tie-Guy-55