Squarebody to GMT400 Chassis Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've tried to stay out of this, but I really don't think this will be a big deal,considering it's 4wd. I'd take some inch and a half x 3inch channel iron,drill hunks of it to accept the square body mounts. Bolt pieces to the square cab body mounts, open side down set it in place on the frame. Tack the channel to the gmt frame, pull the cab back off. Weld solid,trim, make gussets to support the channel. Yep it's going to sit a little higher, but it's 4wd it will look right.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I've tried to stay out of this, but I really don't think this will be a big deal,considering it's 4wd. I'd take some inch and a half x 3inch channel iron drill hunks of it to accept the square body mounts. Bolt pieces to the square cab open side down set it in place on the frame. Tack the channel to the gmt frame pull the cab back off. Weld solid,trim make gussets to support the channel. Yep it's going to sit a little higher, but it's 4wd it will look right.
That sounds easy enough

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
^^^^^^^^^Famous last words @DoubleDingo ^^^^^^^^^
So true! I don't even try to put a time frame on any project anymore. Even a simple oil change can bring about an unknown that requires attention and makes it take longer.

Years ago Pop was kind enough to agree to a "quick" Saturday job at the shop on Mean Green. Even he knew it was typically a two hour job. 9 hours later! Man he was pissed and so was I. I hated asking him to go down there on a Saturday because he was there long hours all week, but he would agree from time to time, and after that we agreed that we will never say that a job is easy, quick, or will take a specific amount of time. We still talk about that day once in awhile.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So true! I don't even try to put a time frame on any project anymore. Even a simple oil change can bring about an unknown that requires attention and makes it take longer.

Years ago Pop was kind enough to agree to a "quick" Saturday job at the shop on Mean Green. Even he knew it was typically a two hour job. 9 hours later! Man he was pissed and so was I. I hated asking him to go down there on a Saturday because he was there long hours all week, but he would agree from time to time, and after that we agreed that we will never say that a job is easy, quick, or will take a specific amount of time. We still talk about that day once in awhile.
I always say it's quick an easy,I am an optimist,but I usually make it happen. Sometimes one bites you on the A$$ though.

78CK10

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hello! I've been snooping around here for a while, but finally registered to start contributing.

I did almost this same swap quite a few years ago. Overall, it wasn't too involved.

Mine was a 78 C10 and it is now on an 88-94 K1500 chassis. I am using the later drivetrain which is a 350 TBI, 5 speed, manual t-case and then the 3.42 geared front and rear diffs. The rear diff is actually out of a GMT800 with rear disks, but that doesn't really matter for this discussion.

The TBI meant that the engine harness was not really integrated into the truck electronics, made things easier.

Body mounts - the front cab mounts are set on bushings that rest right on the frame, added a mounting pad and the frame width is perfect for this. The rear cab mounts needed fabricated. The core support mounts also needed fabricated, but the frame width is close here. The bed mounts got tabs off the frame on the rear 4 bolts and the front 4 bolts needed cross bars and tabs for the bolts since the newer frame dropped down under the cab. To get the body to be lower and not look so out of place, the fuel tank cross member needed to be removed and replaced with a flat one that was level with the top of the frame.

The radiator, brake booster, etc. under the hood more or less bolted right up.

The steering took an adapter from the 78 column to the newer steering box. I did use a column from a later model square so that I could get the tilt, intermittent wipers and the cruise control on the stalk. Also integrated the safety for the key in use with the 5 speed.

Inside the truck, the factory gauges work, the speedometer is the only one that needed help. I am running a box that converts the electronic speed signal into a cable driven action to drive the speedometer. There may be options from later square body trucks (think 3/4 or 1 ton trucks from say 90 or 91) that use the TBI engine and an electronic speed signal. I did not think about this at the time, plus I don't think the gauge font would match the other gauges.

Just add holes for the manual shifter of the transmission and t-case and used the boot from the newer truck on the transmission and a mount and housing from a square body on the t-case. I turned it around so I had to change the labels so that they are correct. Also, the shift lever needed tweaked so it wouldn't hit the seat in 4 hi.

For the clutch - I used a hydraulic master cylinder from an 87 C10 and got pedals from the same. Originally tried pedals from my year of truck (78) but never got the mechanical pedal to work with a hydraulic clutch so I switched masters. Works great now. The mounting pattern is available online. Add brackets to the firewall and column mount for the neutral safety and the cruise control cut off when the clutch pedal is moved.

The rear bumper just took swapping the frame mounting brackets from side to side to account for the frame width difference, but the front bumper did take fabricating new mounts.

Interior and lighting all use the 78 wiring harness and switches. The engine is a stand alone system and there is no trans module or BCM.

The biggest issue I have had over the years since I did this is picking out rims that I like. I really like the original rally style, but those are 15s and won't clear the rear disks. So I have been experimenting with GMT400 and GMT800 aluminum rims trying to get a look I like.

Below are a few photos (at least I hope they load) to show a couple of things mentioned above.

This is the front cab mount put into the frame. At this point, the width is perfect.
You must be registered for see images attach

Fuel tank cross member change and forward running bars for bed mount.

Interior

Current state, spring of 2024

Good luck!!!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hello! I've been snooping around here for a while, but finally registered to start contributing.

I did almost this same swap quite a few years ago. Overall, it wasn't too involved.

Mine was a 78 C10 and it is now on an 88-94 K1500 chassis. I am using the later drivetrain which is a 350 TBI, 5 speed, manual t-case and then the 3.42 geared front and rear diffs. The rear diff is actually out of a GMT800 with rear disks, but that doesn't really matter for this discussion.

The TBI meant that the engine harness was not really integrated into the truck electronics, made things easier.

Body mounts - the front cab mounts are set on bushings that rest right on the frame, added a mounting pad and the frame width is perfect for this. The rear cab mounts needed fabricated. The core support mounts also needed fabricated, but the frame width is close here. The bed mounts got tabs off the frame on the rear 4 bolts and the front 4 bolts needed cross bars and tabs for the bolts since the newer frame dropped down under the cab. To get the body to be lower and not look so out of place, the fuel tank cross member needed to be removed and replaced with a flat one that was level with the top of the frame.

The radiator, brake booster, etc. under the hood more or less bolted right up.

The steering took an adapter from the 78 column to the newer steering box. I did use a column from a later model square so that I could get the tilt, intermittent wipers and the cruise control on the stalk. Also integrated the safety for the key in use with the 5 speed.

Inside the truck, the factory gauges work, the speedometer is the only one that needed help. I am running a box that converts the electronic speed signal into a cable driven action to drive the speedometer. There may be options from later square body trucks (think 3/4 or 1 ton trucks from say 90 or 91) that use the TBI engine and an electronic speed signal. I did not think about this at the time, plus I don't think the gauge font would match the other gauges.

Just add holes for the manual shifter of the transmission and t-case and used the boot from the newer truck on the transmission and a mount and housing from a square body on the t-case. I turned it around so I had to change the labels so that they are correct. Also, the shift lever needed tweaked so it wouldn't hit the seat in 4 hi.

For the clutch - I used a hydraulic master cylinder from an 87 C10 and got pedals from the same. Originally tried pedals from my year of truck (78) but never got the mechanical pedal to work with a hydraulic clutch so I switched masters. Works great now. The mounting pattern is available online. Add brackets to the firewall and column mount for the neutral safety and the cruise control cut off when the clutch pedal is moved.

The rear bumper just took swapping the frame mounting brackets from side to side to account for the frame width difference, but the front bumper did take fabricating new mounts.

Interior and lighting all use the 78 wiring harness and switches. The engine is a stand alone system and there is no trans module or BCM.

The biggest issue I have had over the years since I did this is picking out rims that I like. I really like the original rally style, but those are 15s and won't clear the rear disks. So I have been experimenting with GMT400 and GMT800 aluminum rims trying to get a look I like.

Below are a few photos (at least I hope they load) to show a couple of things mentioned above.

This is the front cab mount put into the frame. At this point, the width is perfect.

Fuel tank cross member change and forward running bars for bed mount.

Interior

Current state, spring of 2024

Good luck!!!!

Best first post in the history of the internet! Lol. Cool truck and thanks for the info!

78CK10

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thank you! Just hoping it might help someone.

I won't know the answer to a lot of the questions posted on the forum, but this one I have some history with. Happy to share!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachbw55