No line pressure to rear disc conversion, no prop valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sctaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
88 3+3 long bed 3/4t, 2wd, 14b ff
cadillac calipers, 1/4" single line direct from Master to Tsplit hoses on rear
3/16" direct line from master to Tsplit on factory disc front.
All new except for pedal & rod.
Bleeding & getting caliper movement & pressure from front lines, but little line pressure & no caliper reaction in the rear.
Stock replacement proportioning valve was leaking out the switch hole, so bypassed the valve to see if I'd have rear brakes. Still nothing. What am I missing? I get fluid flow & pedal gets firm, but no caliper action & almost no line pressure.
TIA

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Do you still have the load sensing proportioning valve in the rear? (at the top of the rear axle flex hose)

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How do you know you have fluid flow?

sctaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Load sensing valve removed.
Getting fluid from rear calipers when I bleed system w/a vacuum pump. When using help & brake pedal tho, no piston movement.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome new member!

You need to read some of the braking system problems and solutions discussed in these forums.

Wrong brake master cylinder made for front disc and rear drum?? 1/4" line to the front disc, 3/16" to rear drums. Front disc needs more flow, rear drums need higher pressure modulated by the master cylinder and the proportioning valve you don't have.

sctaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I have been some, thx. I suspected I may be up against mismatched parts but wasn't sure. Factory replacement lines came as 1/4 to the rear & 3/16 up front. Will a disc/disc valve do the trick?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Do you have the correct master cylinder? List all the changes you've made to the brake system,what parts have been replaced,added,deleted substituted. And if they were for a disc,disc application.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Not having a proportioning valve is not the problem, I don’t have one and my brakes are fine. It’s not the right thing to do and I’ll probably run over a bus full of nuns but I’m just saying that’s not it.

I agree that you may need to look at the master cylinder. With my disc swap I’m running a master cylinder from a 99 C3500 (vacuum disc/disc application) and it works 4 D60 calipers just fine. This m/c probably won’t work for you though as I’d guess you have hydroboost.

sctaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Ok, truck as listed above, stock (as far as I know.. it's an old county highway dept truck, so all the smog stuff is cut off & gone. )
I replaced the stock vacuum brakes (disc/drum) w/all new parts & did a disc conv on the rear (brackets, caddy calipers, hoses). Eliminated the load valve under the bed. Relocated the proportioning valve to horizontal under the master (new, but stock).
Then, when couldn't get rears to act right, bypassed the p valve AND the 3-section (new ss) line to the rear & ran a dedicated single line from master to rear axle t, just to eliminate possible crud in line. (This project has been on-off for a while, as life happens.)

sctaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Ok, truck as listed above, stock (as far as I know.. it's an old county highway dept truck, so all the smog stuff is cut off & gone. )
I replaced the stock vacuum brakes (disc/drum) w/all new parts & did a disc conv on the rear (brackets, caddy calipers, hoses). Eliminated the load valve under the bed. Relocated the proportioning valve to horizontal under the master (new, but stock).
Then, when couldn't get rears to act right, bypassed the p valve AND the 3-section (new ss) line to the rear & ran a dedicated single line from master to rear axle t, just to eliminate possible crud in line. (This project has been on-off for a while, as life happens.

sctaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Dunno why it double posted, nor how to remove the repeat.

sctaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I have a disc/disc p valve ordered. Guessing from nvrenuf et al that I'm probably looking at another new master, but for a disc/disc truck?
... I read through I don't know how much stuff on 14b disc swaps before I started this, & never came across anyone (who was trying to sell the convo kits) saying new/different master was necessary. Urgh.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My current build has a dis/disc master cylinder but my old truck had a dis/drum master cylinder, I just swap to one with a larger bore and reservoir.

sctaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
So it's the master causing my problem, not the pvalve? Or is it just the reservoir size? Are the cylinders different also? Thx
Just read yours again.. bore and reservoir. Gotcha thx again.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I don’t know that the m/c is definitely the problem but calipers use more fluid to move than a wheel cylinder, a lot of people change the m/c during the conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy