New to this: Rear end alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C10_Blackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got new tires on my recently acquired 1981 C10 that I know nothing about today and my next step is to take it to a local shop to get the alignment checked and a coolant system flush and fill.

So is there such thing as a rear-end alignment? I remember hearing that this is a thing but don’t know if it applies to my truck. And if there is such a thing, how is it done? I don’t see where you could adjust toe-in in the rears. But then I am completely new to this.

I will be asking questions like this for the next 5-10 years and I just want to thank everyone for the invaluable help I’ve gotten so far. This will never be a show truck and right now it has nothing but issues but I plan to keep on working at it until I’m too old to drive it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
No such thing as a rear alignment on a solid axle vehicle. I mean unless the vehicle is actually racked.
What makes you think you need an alignment? Unless the old tires were wearing funny or it pulls one direction, it good!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Almost all alignment machines these days have provisions for checking angles on all 4 wheels. The only thing adjustable at the rear AXLE may be the angle that the rear AXLE is to the relationship of the frame.......because of spring center bolt, possible spring bushing wear, or just screwed up rear springs...broken, etc. You will know when you get the printout from the tech.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Almost all alignment machines these days have provisions for checking angles on all 4 wheels. The only thing adjustable at the rear AXLE may be the angle that the rear AXLE is to the relationship of the frame.......because of spring center bolt, possible spring bushing wear, or just screwed up rear springs...broken, etc. You will know when you get the printout from the tech.
I like the upper case.... :D

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Agree.

So if the rear axle "beam" is rotated it will manifest itself in the vehicle "crabbing".

K

C10_Blackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No such thing as a rear alignment on a solid axle vehicle. I mean unless the vehicle is actually racked.
What makes you think you need an alignment? Unless the old tires were wearing funny or it pulls one direction, it good!
Got it, thanks. Yes, the guys who replaced the tires indicated that the old ones were wearing a bit funny in a way that might indicate an alignment issue.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Got it, thanks. Yes, the guys who replaced the tires indicated that the old ones were wearing a bit funny in a way that might indicate an alignment issue.
probably an issue with the alignment in the front that shows on all four tires due to tire rotations.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
It’s good to learn the signs by reading your tires. What did they look like?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It’s good to learn the signs by reading your tires. What did they look like?

If I read my tires, they just say "BF Goodrich" and a whole bunch of other words and numbers.

:rofl:

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
If you get one, can you put up the readout before/after of any alignment you get. Seeing the numbers makes all the difference in diagnosis.

I look at the tires every time I get anywhere close to an air source. Like the nitrogen stations outside of Costco. I'm constantly fiddling with tire pressure for optimum wear and any alignment issues show up quickly. Of course, I am retired alignment guy so I'm looking at ALL the tires out there, driving Mrs Radiohead batty commenting on this condition or that.

I wish I could get some side work just diagnosing the noises the vehicles make going by the house at 40+ if I could only get the message across.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
If you get one, can you put up the readout before/after of any alignment you get. Seeing the numbers makes all the difference in diagnosis.

I look at the tires every time I get anywhere close to an air source. Like the nitrogen stations outside of Costco. I'm constantly fiddling with tire pressure for optimum wear and any alignment issues show up quickly. Of course, I am retired alignment guy so I'm looking at ALL the tires out there, driving Mrs Radiohead batty commenting on this condition or that.

I wish I could get some side work just diagnosing the noises the vehicles make going by the house at 40+ if I could only get the message across.
Bullhorn? Hahaha
Seems most tire shops don’t gaf about reading tire wear when doing rotations…but why would they?
You can sell more tires if you just blindly rotate them in a X pattern.

Maybe I’m weird and not even an alignment guy, but knowing what types of wear are from what conditions or positions and rotating accordingly makes a noticeable difference in tire life and ride quality over the life of a tire. Or a set of tires.
And knowing what is “wear” and what is misaligned is also important.
Many alignments are performed and are just money grabs as the tire wear is from where/how the vehicle is driven and not poor alignment.

Just like the suckers who b!tch about how many times they’ve “had” to replace ball joints on HD solid axle diesels….the vast majority are having them replaced at a shop, at the shops recommendations. When in fact there is nothing wrong.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Yup, toe has a particular pattern as does camber. Wheel imbalance left long enough has a pattern and one can see how the car is driven if you know what to look for. The tires don't lie. For example, you can tell when a class 8 driver is turning too fast into places when the outer edges scallop from the contact point pressure.

Which is why I don't get the whole cambered onto the sidewalls look nowadays.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Two ways to get to Ontario Oregon from my place, Weiser, about 20 miles. One way, the Idaho side US95, fairly straight and long radius curves. Hardly any tire wear on this road. The other is the Oregon side OR201 sharp curves all the way. Outside and inside edge tire wear you can't believe!!!! Have proven this a few times, when I was going to the community college back in the day with my Nova, and my son later in years with his Nova. Also many commuters that regularly drive 201. Of course, speed is a factor , also! ;)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you want to wait until I have time to write it and put it up. I can write up a pretty good write on a very accurate string alignment,and how to check caster and camber,for,a very,very small amount of cash. Once you know what you have then you can decide whether to make your own adjustments or take it somewhere. But the string box,will tell you if the rear has shifted and what your front and rear toe are. I am busy all day today,and tonight, but no big plans tomorrow,should be able to write something up. Or Google string alignments use tag word of conduit and jack stands. You will want to find one that locates the strings parallel using pieces of conduit front and rear of the vehicle set on jack stands. Didn't read this yet but quick glance looks good, I'll read it later and make revisions/ notes
http://speed.academy/diy-wheel-alignment-how-to-guide-explained/2/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indyrenegade