New Engine time (88 TBI) - Any tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I bit the bullet and ordered an ATK rebuilt TBI 350 with the roller cam and 4-bolt main upgrade. I know--it isnt a sexy upgrade. But, I'm not interested in an extensive swap on this truck and performance TBI setups seems like a lot of hassle for minimal gain.

What other items should I tackle "while I am in there?" I am considering an edelbrock aluminum intake--not for performance, but solely because my stock intake looks really old and tired. I figured the edelbrock would be better than stripping and repainting the old intake. I am also considering replacing the old, rusty exhaust manifolds with a fresh set or maybe even going with a set of ceramic coated headers (any recommendations for either?). Again, I am less worried about a performance upgrade and more wanting everything to look new and extend any potential failure intervals. Going to do a new water pump because that seems like cheap insurance. What are y'alls thoughts on the EGR/smog stuff? Keep or no?

The truck already has a new radiator, AC compressor, and alternator. Any thing else I should consider? Any tips or tricks to a TBI swap that I should know before I start?

Thanks in advance. I always appreciate the knowledge on here. If you want more background on the truck, my "build" thread is here: TJ's 1988 Suburban

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'd keep egr it allows more timing,cooler combustion chambers and better MPG, Google it,wiki it learn how it works and what it does. Exhaust if your going to buy new manifolds anyway just to look fresh and last forever consider hooker Exhaust manifolds, or 89-91 TBI Burb manifolds and Y pipe. Intake manifold I'd strip it,bead blast it if you can,and clear it,it's aluminum it will clean up nice,even if you don't clear it,hit it with some mag wheel cleaner occasionally. Aftermarket manifolds aren't always the best quality. Plenty of porous Edelbrocks out there. Again research it,don't take my word. And go with electric fans a little more hp and mpg.

Last edited:

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
or 89-91 TBI Burb manifolds and Y pipe.

What's special about these? Could you expand on that?

Sorry @tj43 I don't have anything to add but I'm gonna follow along

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Just larger diameter for less restriction. I got this information from someone on another forumn, I actually haven't obtained the exhaust yet to compare and verify the information. So if anyone has these handy to compare,I would appreciate it. The guy posts a lot on other forums and seems knowledgeable.

Last edited:

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks. My 91 Suburban has those. I can try to take some measurements of the outside if that'll help but everything's installed so I can't really get to the inside right now. Going by what I remember I think the y-pipe is 3 in, it was quite a bit bigger than the pipes on my 78 K5. I can get back with those measurements tonight after work.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Well @Ricko1966 measuring while installed was a little more tricky than I was thinking. Tried to get in where like the donut would be but couldn't see anything on my tape. The y-pipe is 2 1/4 inlets and a 3 in outlet. RockAuto has better pictures than I can provide with the actual manifolds in place and buried. Looks to be like 2 1/4 down pipes. I don't know if it's original or not so it could not matter anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually