Mystery Tachometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frickenbored

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
5.7L
Hi everyone, after a ridiculous amount of online research and coming up with absolutely nothing I decided to join a forum and hope that someone else has seen this gauge before. So I'm in the process of "restoring" my 1986 Chevy K10 Scottsdale, after 8 long years I've finally found the time to install the engine I rebuilt 5 years ago and the transmission I rebuilt 2 years ago. The truck now runs and drives and to my surprise all of the factory gauges actually work, they just needed to be hooked up to sending units. I've got the voltmeter, temp, oil pressure, clock, and fuel gauge working and I have my eye on the factory tach now.

This tachometer has the fuel gauge built into it, I can't find anything about this gauge anywhere, it's like it doesn't exist. Every gauge cluster I've ever seen either has the large fuel gauge next to the speedometer or they have a single tachometer and a small fuel gauge where the clock is. I haven't actually pulled the cluster yet to see how the tach is wired, for now I'm just super curious as to where this gauge came from.

Also, this truck has the body of a 1986 C10 and the frame/drivetrain of a 1975 K10 but these gauges look like the 1980s style to me.

(sorry for the crappy pictures, it's a pretty sunny day)

You must be registered for see images attach

frickenbored

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
5.7L
It's from a medium duty truck. A nice upgrade if it still works, imho.
Well dang, I never even thought to look at the bigger trucks but a quick Google search confirms it. The fuel gauge works and is pretty accurate so hopefully the tach works too. I'll have to pull the cluster and see if I can get it wired up. It would be really cool to get the whole factory cluster working again, minus the speedometer.

ma3600vz

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5 BLAZER
Engine Size

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

They can be had MUCH cheaper in farm country. You just have to find a yard that has old grain trucks.

slammed84

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I remember from years ago there was an outfit that was reproducing these in small quantities, but they wanted way too much for them. Something crazy like $300, and not sure if it had the gas gauge built into it like this.

Ken Boellner

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You got a clock so thats where the fuel gauge would go. When you get that option you get a tack with the fuel gauge. I have seen them before.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
It's from a medium duty truck. A nice upgrade if it still works, imho.
^^^ :waytogo:
You got a clock so thats where the fuel gauge would go. When you get that option you get a tack with the fuel gauge. I have seen them before.
On the medium duty truck, the last gauge hole would have an air gauge for the brakes, or a vacuum gauge for the booster on juice brakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
midgetorama