Ls swap mounting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruisedbanana79

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Working on my 1985 ls swap (4.8, 4l60e, 208 TC). Used dirty dingo slider mounts and even with the engine pushed back as far as possible in those mounts my transmission crossmember and driveline is about 2.5” pushed forward. Obviously I can shorten the front driveshaft and have a new rear one built but that is costly. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the transfer case pushed back more?
You must be registered for see images attach

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are the slots not to the rear of the bolts? Looks like it's all the way forward to me.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Are the slots not to the rear of the bolts? Looks like it's all the way forward to me.
Same

Engine should be almost touching firewall

bruisedbanana79

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Same

Engine should be almost touching firewall
Yes the the slider mounts are pushed as far rearward as possible only adjustment left in them would be pulling the engine forward. I do have about 2” between the head and the firewall which made me think something is off. Now the suburban had a diesel in it from the factory and I can not seem to find a clear diagram on how the frame pads differ from a Sbc to a diesel

bruisedbanana79

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You ever have one of those moments where you question everything you know about cars…..between the old man and myself over 60 years of building experience and we have the engine pulled all the way forward! Thank you for both of you two for seeing this. Looks like I’ll probably have to figure out the trans dipstick since it is closer than 2.5” to the firewall right now. But that is cheaper than new driveshafts

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Edit: we were typing at the same time lol.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
You ever have one of those moments where you question everything you know about cars…..between the old man and myself over 60 years of building experience and we have the engine pulled all the way forward! Thank you for both of you two for seeing this. Looks like I’ll probably have to figure out the trans dipstick since it is closer than 2.5” to the firewall right now. But that is cheaper than new driveshafts
Dipstick tube should be able to move a bit, just bend the tab where it’s bolted to the bell housing

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Driveline industries in Denver can shorten and lengthen existing driveshafts. I'm sure yours can too. Also, you must ask yourself "where do I want the motor?" How is fan/radiator clearance (should still be big). It seems to me that getting the distributor away from the firewall would be a big advantage. If clearance is good, work on the driveshafts. How much has the LS swap cost vs driveshaft cost?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Driveline industries in Denver can shorten and lengthen existing driveshafts. I'm sure yours can too. Also, you must ask yourself "where do I want the motor?" How is fan/radiator clearance (should still be big). It seems to me that getting the distributor away from the firewall would be a big advantage. If clearance is good, work on the driveshafts. How much has the LS swap cost vs driveshaft cost?
No distributor on LS, they’re fired by coil packs mounted to the valve cover

bruisedbanana79

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Well ladies and gentlemen I was not firing on all cylinders yesterday . Was able to slide it back within 3/16” of the firewall and now both driveshafts fit like factory! Huge cost savings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
push248