Introductory Post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandcastle89

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 4BBL 5.7
Hello All,

I’d like to introduce myself to the community and share some photos of the newest addition to my garage—a 1976 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale with a 350 SBC engine (originally outfitted with a 400). I had wanted a second vehicle for a long time, but seeing the high prices of new trucks made me question what I was really getting for $60,000 in debt. After browsing the Hemmings Auction site, I found this truck from a dealer in South Dakota and had it shipped to Florida. All in, I spent about $4,200 for the truck and shipping. Given that fully restored trucks were ten times the price, I decided to take on the project of restoring it myself. My dad is getting up there in years and we have always talked about doing a project like this together.

The truck still needs floor pans and cab corners - I have them in hand but I want to sort out all the mechanical gremlins before moving on to making it aesthetically pleasing. Some of the mechanical things I have noticed so far is the transfer case is leaky, and rattling (likely the chain). The speedo cable could use a rehab as well. It also seems to be running a little rough (stumbling / missing). A compression test revealed 150 lbs. of pressure on all but the number 3 cylinder (read about 135). Valve could be ready to exit the chat. Not sure.

My goal was to get a vehicle that could do all the things my small economy car couldn’t—like haul a motorcycle or two, go camping, and keep me from being stranded when the roads flood here in Sarasota, FL. Over the past two months, my fears were realized with 18+ inches of rain. I needed something reliable that doesn’t rely on modern electronics or sensors, and on the extremely rare chance of an EMP, it would still operate (as long as I can find fuel).

I’ve been a fan of Vice Grip Garage on YouTube since 2020, and I wonder if some of you may also watch his channel. He tends to favor Chevy/GMC over Ford trucks, so I decided to follow his lead and go the GM route.

I’ve nicknamed the truck Sandcastle, as the amount of dirt and debris I found and removed underneath filled up the shop-vac several times over. I suspect it was a farm truck, used to haul hay and other materials, as it’s equipped (or at least was) with a trailer brake booster and a three-point hitch.

Let me know what you guys think - cheers.

You must be registered for see images attach

So far my father and I have completed the following:
New tires + spare tire bracketry
New spare wheel
New drum brake shoes / drums / and hardware
New rear brake line (encompassing rear axle)
New rear wheel cylinders
New rear axles
New rear wheel bearings
New rear diff cover and gasket - gear oil replaced
New exhaust from LMC (from headers back)
New air filter
New spark plugs
New engine oil / filter
New front brake pads
New front calipers
New shocks
New front drag links
New front steering stabilizer
New front ball joints (upper and lower) parts and labor
New tie rod ends
New front wheel bearings inner and outer + spindle (with new seals)
New front diff cover and gasket - gear oil replaced
New brake fluid
New valve cover gaskets
New ground wire
New battery tray
New shift boot, plate, and screws
New NP203 shift knob
New dome light bulb and cover
New door weather stripping
New circuit board for gauges
New gauges and glovebox
LED bulbs for gauges
New wiper switch
Repaired gear selector with fishing line

New Dash pad (old one was blown out)
New Dash trim bezel (want to do A/C at some point)
New Steering wheel (old one was sticky)
New Horn cap

Grill and facia pieces
Hazard switch repaired

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Welcome from Missouri.

Sandcastle89

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 4BBL 5.7
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have tons of pictures to share. I believe I will further my postings in the 'under construction' section to detail all the things we have done so far. Cheers.

Orion

Reaction score
First Name
Orion
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
Small Block 350
Welcome from California. Great project for you and your dad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cristian Pc