Help with grinding/whirring sound!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmyhran

Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My square (1986 k10 silverado) makes a grinding/whirring sound when the axel/wheels are rotating. It almost sounds like something isn't properly lubricated. The sound gets faster/louder the faster I drive. The sound slows down, gets quieter when I slow down, like at a stop light. The sound is directly related to how fast the wheels are spinning. And it seems to get worse when the truck is hot. I don't hear it if I haven't driven for a few days or first thing on a cool morning.
Any idea what this could be and how I might fix it? The sound happens whether I'm hitting the brakes or not! I'd add a video with the noise but the files too big....

Attachments

• 20240203_120716.jpg
    20240203_120716.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 13

cmyhran

Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's a link to a video with the sound! This is coming to a stop.
Any help greatly appreciated, I'm new here!

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
First check would be wheel bearings,based on your description.
^^^^ This

Except a dragging brake pad or shoe would be my actual first check and bearings would be second. Only because brake issues can be seen without disassembly of the hubs.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Sound doesn’t change when brakes applied. IMO that mostly rules out brakes.
OP, gonna have to do like anyone else would. Take wheels off and start diagnosing.
If you’re stumped after actually inspecting the things that spin on the truck (wheels, driveshafts, engine accessories) then provide some more context/history for us innnerweb mechanics. lol

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I had a set of locking hubs go bad on me. That made a grinding/whirring sound directly proportional to wheel speed. Replaced them and the truck was happy again.

tsgs84

Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Drive the truck for awhile but only until you hear the noise for 5 minutes or so then slowly stop and feel your hubs, if a wheel bearing is going bad that hub will be hotter. Also remember that the front brakes do most of the stopping so judge accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy