Whirling Sound While AC is Turned On, Matches Up With RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use a 1/2" breaker bar in the square hole you see on top, loosen the bolts mounting compressor to brackets, give it a good pull, and tighten them back up.
You type faster than I do, even if I didn't have a beer in one hand.
I didn't even notice the 1/2" hole either.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
So optimistically I approached knocking this out. It seemed to make sense. I see the 1/2 square hole. I loosened the sliding bolt slightly and what I thought would be the pivot bolt(bottom back) so it could pivot when I pryed the whole bracket over slightly. I could not tell what to pry against and didn't make any movement on it. I am missing something. I need to see someone doing it. I was looking forward to figuring it out but not this time.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Update: I got a buddy coming over to help me possibly Sunday afternoon or early next week. I will keep you all posted because I know your on the edge of your seat lol.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
So optimistically I approached knocking this out. It seemed to make sense. I see the 1/2 square hole. I loosened the sliding bolt slightly and what I thought would be the pivot bolt(bottom back) so it could pivot when I pryed the whole bracket over slightly. I could not tell what to pry against and didn't make any movement on it. I am missing something. I need to see someone doing it. I was looking forward to figuring it out but not this time.
There's probably another bolt. These
Engine accessory brackets are really integrated and have lots of bolts. just wiggle and look till you find the bolt that's still tight

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Tightened the V belt with my buddy. The sound is still there when AC is turned on. The belt does not get anywhere close to the bracket anymore at least. Possible that it is low on freon or the compressor needs to be replaced. Maybe I just turn the radio up louder. My drivers power window started slipping on me when I got back from my pals house just in time for rolling with no AC. Hopefully just off track and I don't need to replace the window motor.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Txr10
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Unless the area is so filthy you can't see bolt heads it should be easy to find the ones holding it in place. When the engine cools run your hands around it you can't miss them they are all fairly large bolts. IIRC there are two bolts on the bottom towards the rear of the vehicle that I loosen and then 2 or three on top that I at least crack loose. Obviously not the ones holding the compressor together.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Unless the area is so filthy you can't see bolt heads it should be easy to find the ones holding it in place. When the engine cools run your hands around it you can't miss them they are all fairly large bolts. IIRC there are two bolts on the bottom towards the rear of the vehicle that I loosen and then 2 or three on top that I at least crack loose. Obviously not the ones holding the compressor together.
I got it. My buddy helped me adjust the v belt. I posted about it after this one here. It still is making the noise and belt doesn't touch the bracket now.

mlparkey

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If it only occurs with the AC compressor running then most likely it an AC compressor issue. It could be an internal problem with the compressor or it could be an external problem with the AC clutch bearing. You can use a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the compressor. Turn off the AC and see if you can still hear the noise at the clutch pulley bearing. It won't be as loud with the compressor turned off. Also if the AC lines are not securely fastened and are touching the frame or inner fenders you will hear pumping pulsation noises when the compressor is engaged.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
The truck sounds totally normal until the AC is engaged then immediately fast clicking(whirling). The compressor looks completely normal and functional. No visible signs externally like heat changing the metal. Nothing looks loose or off.

Is it OK to drive the truck without turning the AC on? Until I decide what and when I will do something with it.

I'm guessing the belt running around the bypass will eventually make it worse even without using the AC...

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Yes it's safe to drive with a/c off. Your problem is not the pumps idler pulley