Gun Rack Spacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
How far apart are your gun rack bars mounted? I'm referring to the brackets that bridge the rear window opening.

I got a rack from @bigcountry78 awhile back, and now I'm thinking that I need to get it mounted before I go grouse hunting in a couple weeks. I haven't made time to install my slider window, so I want to be sure that wherever I mount the rack will still work with the slider.

Please let me know how far apart your gun racks are mounts. I'm mainly intending to use it will full length shotguns, if it makes a difference.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The spacing should depend on the rifle/shotguns you're putting in it. Usually they rest upside down so one side would fit in the curve behind the trigger. The other wouldn't matter as much as its relatively flat along the top of the barrel/stock. It gets complicated when you throw AR's in there as they come in all shapes/sizes. I grew up with having guns in the window. I was surprised it is now illegal in most places.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The spacing should depend on the rifle/shotguns you're putting in it. Usually they rest upside down so one side would fit in the curve behind the trigger. The other wouldn't matter as much as its relatively flat along the top of the barrel/stock. It gets complicated when you throw AR's in there as they come in all shapes/sizes. I grew up with having guns in the window. I was surprised it is now illegal in most places.
Huh, hadn't really thought about it being illegal. I just know nobody does it anymore

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I was surprised it is now illegal in most places.
Huh, hadn't really thought about it being illegal. I just know nobody does it anymore

It's still legal in MN when traveling to and from hunting locations, as long as you stay out of the three major metro counties and towns of 2,500 or greater. It also needs to be unloaded.

I suppose I should play around with the rack and my shotguns.

Does anyone have an example spacing to start with? I still want to be able to use the center seat on the bench from time to time.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I can get measurements on mine in a couple days. I grew up in this truck and we rode four or five deep sometimes when we were kids. I can't recall a time I ever hit my head on these. Other trucks yes I for sure have not this one though.

Should work with a slider too, the biggest thing is making sure you can get the latch between the two long guns.

As far as I know it's still legal in my state. But rifles and I believe shotguns need to have an empty chamber.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

straydog371

Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The original owner of my truck had a gun rack, but must have removed it prior to selling it. I snapped a picture thinking it might help you. Center to center between the sets of holes is 25".
I"ve been looking for a QUALITY gun rack for a while now...no luck...everything available online appears poorly built.

Attachments

• Gun rack hole spacing.jpg
    Gun rack hole spacing.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 3

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The original owner of my truck had a gun rack, but must have removed it prior to selling it. I snapped a picture thinking it might help you. Center to center between the sets of holes is 25".
I"ve been looking for a QUALITY gun rack for a while now...no luck...everything available online appears poorly built.
To be fair all the old ones are just flat bar with some holes and coated in rubber. Definitely not flimsy or weak but I wouldn't say high quality lolol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
How far apart are your gun rack bars mounted? I'm referring to the brackets that bridge the rear window opening.

I got a rack from @bigcountry78 awhile back, and now I'm thinking that I need to get it mounted before I go grouse hunting in a couple weeks. I haven't made time to install my slider window, so I want to be sure that wherever I mount the rack will still work with the slider.

Please let me know how far apart your gun racks are mounts. I'm mainly intending to use it will full length shotguns, if it makes a difference.
Man that's a great post.
This place kicks azz
God Bless America!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcourt