Gun Rack Spacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
How far apart are your gun rack bars mounted? I'm referring to the brackets that bridge the rear window opening.

I got a rack from @bigcountry78 awhile back, and now I'm thinking that I need to get it mounted before I go grouse hunting in a couple weeks. I haven't made time to install my slider window, so I want to be sure that wherever I mount the rack will still work with the slider.

Please let me know how far apart your gun racks are mounts. I'm mainly intending to use it will full length shotguns, if it makes a difference.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The spacing should depend on the rifle/shotguns you're putting in it. Usually they rest upside down so one side would fit in the curve behind the trigger. The other wouldn't matter as much as its relatively flat along the top of the barrel/stock. It gets complicated when you throw AR's in there as they come in all shapes/sizes. I grew up with having guns in the window. I was surprised it is now illegal in most places.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The spacing should depend on the rifle/shotguns you're putting in it. Usually they rest upside down so one side would fit in the curve behind the trigger. The other wouldn't matter as much as its relatively flat along the top of the barrel/stock. It gets complicated when you throw AR's in there as they come in all shapes/sizes. I grew up with having guns in the window. I was surprised it is now illegal in most places.
Huh, hadn't really thought about it being illegal. I just know nobody does it anymore

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I was surprised it is now illegal in most places.
Huh, hadn't really thought about it being illegal. I just know nobody does it anymore

It's still legal in MN when traveling to and from hunting locations, as long as you stay out of the three major metro counties and towns of 2,500 or greater. It also needs to be unloaded.

I suppose I should play around with the rack and my shotguns.

Does anyone have an example spacing to start with? I still want to be able to use the center seat on the bench from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987_V20_Bluey