Gas cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79TUFF

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
So i replaced an after market gas cap with a new GM stock one because it wold not vent vapors through the cap but the new one does the same thing. Am i wrong to assume they are not supposed to hisssss when opened?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
^^^^ the tanks should be vented. Not the cap.

79TUFF

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Suburban is a 1990 model, i tried unsuccessfully with the search on here, i will try the vapor canister route, thanks Don.

Don-T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Try the link below to get you to some good information. First time pasting a link within the forum so I don’t know if it will work.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Suburban is a 1990 model, i tried unsuccessfully with the search on here, i will try the vapor canister route, thanks Don.
You should have a factory vapor canister under the hood. Get under it and trace the lines from the tank to the vapor canister and make sure there's not pinches/restrictions. You can try removing the line on the vapor canister for a couple days and see if the issue goes away, you'll just smell fuel. If that works, your vapor canister is probably no good/full of fuel.

If that's not the case, you may have to drop the tank and investigate further. You should have a supply line, return line and a vent line in the sending unit. If you don't care about having your factory vapor canister stuff hooked up, you can always just run a new piece of hose out to the back bumper with a rollover valve on the end. That's how I've got my truck (just straight hose, no rollover valve but that does help with fuel smell when stored in a small space).

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The problem with vented caps and tanks not vented through the charcoal cannister is water absorption by the fuel,rusted gas 5anks from the water,frozen fuel lines from the water as well as the gas fumes in your garage and your gas evaporating while parked,the more aromatic parts evaporate furst leaving you with turpentine for fuel( I prefer to burn my fuel). Take your lawnmower can fill it half full leave the vent open and leave it on your porch for a month,see what happens. Do the same thing but close the vent,see what happens. There's all kinds of reasons manufacturers quit venting fuel tanks into the atmosphere.

79TUFF

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the info, i will start at the vacuum canister. I do know that the previous owner had the fuel tank changed, hopefully i dont have to drop the tank.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info, i will start at the vacuum canister. I do know that the previous owner had the fuel tank changed, hopefully i dont have to drop the tank.
Do you have no drivabilty problems,just a sound when you open the tank? That may be perfectly normal,and a good sign the Evap system has no leaks. That sound is some of the gas that was trying to escape but couldn't until you opened the cap. But think how much hasn't escaped over time. If it's building presdure,but not pulling a vacuum,I wouldn't be worried about it. If it is pulling a vacuum,you'll know it,it will starve for fuel because the fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum to draw fuel.

Last edited:

79TUFF

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
That makes perfect sense, truck runs good otherwise. I had an 87 w/ tbi and the cap never held pressure like this one.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
My 90 burb TBI has no pressure releasing when I open the gas cap. I'd check out cannister under the hood to make sure it is all connected right and that the vent line from the tank isn't plugged. I think there was a thread on here somewhere about the cannister set up. It's also covered in the drivability and emissions manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wojo21212