dual battery w/isolator and solar charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

496bb

Reaction score
First Name
CL
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
So, looking to put in two fresh batteries and make a dual setup. I have a diode isolator. But, I see these Cyrix isolators, and I'm trying to figure out how I could wire in a simple cheap solar trickle charger to keep both batteries topped off, as this won't be a daily driver. Anyone done this?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So, looking to put in two fresh batteries and make a dual setup. I have a diode isolator. But, I see these Cyrix isolators, and I'm trying to figure out how I could wire in a simple cheap solar trickle charger to keep both batteries topped off, as this won't be a daily driver. Anyone done this?
Maybe make your life easy. New Volkswagons used to ship with a solar battery maintainer installed,so dealers never had a dead car on the lot. Dealers removed them before sales. They suction cupped to a window and plugged into a cigarette lighter,dealer techs used to peddle them on ebay for 10.00 I bought one there but it's been years. Maybe still a thing,maybe not but easy to check. Just looked on ebay not cheap anymore I snapped you 2 screenshot 1 so you'd have specs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-28_044741.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-28_044741.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2024-09-28_044728.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-28_044728.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
^Great piece of trivia or memorabilia but there’s so much out there for solar maintainers compared to whenever VW did that it would imo make sense to use some “new” solar.
Considering most of the retailers for the Cyrix also post the installation instructions, I’d just follow those.
If you are installing new, yeah ditch the old diode isolators idea. They still sell em, but why…there has been better technology for quite a while now.
The bigger question is why the isolator? Are you using the batteries as a house/start battery combo or just want the additional battery capacity in general? If the latter then just run batteries in parallel and hook the charger to the most convenient one.
If the former, same thing. Install the isolator/combiner and run the charger to the most convenient one. Same goes for the alternator. Any auto charging relay will work both directions.
I’ve had one on my boat for a lot of years. It’s simple and easy and reliable. (I have a blue sea brand but it’s similar to the Cyrix you posted)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleC10