Did they mess up belts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well on top of me trying to figure out a bad idle when warm, I installed a new coolant temperature sensor.

When I went to fire up the truck, I noticed a quick belt squeal (new to me). I just had flow masters 40s and new belts put on. (Serpentine and two V Belts) from a local shop that works on a lot of older vehicles.

Note this...

-I noticed that the new ac compressor is running a belt from the compressor, around the water pump, and the front part of the pulley on the power steering pump.

-On the back part of the powering steering pump, there is another belt running the pump that goes around harmonic balancer.

Is this right? Why would you have two belts running a power steering pump? One belt runs the ac compressor and one runs off the harmonic balancer. Wouldn't this cause fighting between the two belts? I could have sworn I only had one power steering belt running off of the harmonic balancer.

Ugh just my luck. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Also I provided the three belts to them that were exact part number off of the old ones and they told me one of em wasn't right and ordered a different one. Is this how it may have gotten messed up. Also the rear powersteering belt doesnt seem to fit down into the pulley very well. Please HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0208.jpeg
    IMG_0208.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Well on top of me trying to figure out a bad idle when warm, I installed a new coolant temperature sensor.

When I went to fire up the truck, I noticed a quick belt squeal (new to me). I just had flow masters 40s and new belts put on. (Serpentine and two V Belts) from a local shop that works on a lot of older vehicles.

Note this...

-I noticed that the new ac compressor is running a belt from the compressor, around the water pump, and the front part of the pulley on the power steering pump.

-On the back part of the powering steering pump, there is another belt running the pump that goes around harmonic balancer.

Is this right? Why would you have two belts running a power steering pump? One belt runs the ac compressor and one runs off the harmonic balancer. Wouldn't this cause fighting between the two belts? I could have sworn I only had one power steering belt running off of the harmonic balancer.

Ugh just my luck. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Also I provided the three belts to them that were exact part number off of the old ones and they told me one of em wasn't right and ordered a different one. Is this how it may have gotten messed up. Please HELP!
Take a pic of this and post it up

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
It doesn't look right to me. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience and knowledge of the belt routing.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
If this is an original setup head to the reference section and look in the service manual for your year, belt routing should be listed.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I can't speak to a small block, but on a big block they have the AC running off the PS dual V groove with the PS running off the crank/WP in the other. Thusly
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a '79. I can't imagine it's much different on a SB of a similar vintage and options list. I hope this is helpful.

TruckCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My neighbor whose a big chevy guy said my setup looks ok. He said the only thing mechanically turning everything is the crank (obviousley) so he said it looks fine? . I just figured the belts would fight eachother but i guess if they were then theyd be making a hell of a a racket or toss one.

Youd think with two grooves on the PS that it would be designed for two belts unless it was for alignment issues.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
The routing that @Radiohead looks like it's supposed to be. I'd suggest double checking the routing to make sure it is correct before you toss a belt

TruckCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can't speak to a small block, but on a big block they have the AC running off the PS dual V groove with the PS running off the crank/WP in the other. Thusly

This is a '79. I can't imagine it's much different on a SB of a similar vintage and options list. I hope this is helpful.
Thank you. I also have an AC pump

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you. I also have an AC pump
Do you mean an air pump?
Have you compared to an OE belt routing diagram for your model?
That’s assuming your setup is still OE configuration.
Surprised shop lets you byop. (Bring your own parts)

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Alternator belt looks fine.

For the PS belt there were two OEM solutions
- short belt goes around the PS pulley and the crankshaft pulley. This was the stock non-A/C belt
- or there is a longer belt that goes around the PS, crankshaft and the water pump. This was usually used on A/C or HD cooling. The advantage of this setup is that if you break the alternator belt, the PS belt will keep the water pump turning, so you still have cooling. Yours appears to use that belt.

- routing of the A/C belt depends on the compressor. IIRC, with my original A6 compressor, the compressor pulley was mounted way out to the side, so the belt ran directly from the compressor to the crankshaft, with the bottom of the belt up guided by the PS pulley, and the top running in free air from compressor to crankshaft. I’m not sure how it was routed with the R4 compressor.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The belt routing is correct. Those belts don't fight each other because the crank pulley grooves and the PS pulley grooves are the same diameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74