Dead in the water.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, yesterday went from elation to deflation in a short hurry....but I can still laugh at it.
Went to my favorite toy store, Summit Racing, and pruised the "returned" rack, which has been pretty bare lately, and what before my lustful eyes appeared a polished cast aluminum Edelbrock high flow water pump, in the flavor of, 350, long. Before I knew what happened, it jumped into my arms and said, "dada". I scanned the qr code and it would fit. Strolled up to the Tech desk and double checked fitment...bingo. Popped the hood on "Smiley" and confirmed. This was a $410 pump for $140. I paid with a smile and cruised home. Man, what a score...!
The lable was stuck to the back plate and PB Blaster soon had it sliming off. Yes, slime-ing.
Now, when I got it, all the screws but 1 were missing on the back plate and I didn't give it much thought, because it's not uncommon for that to be the case, besides finding 1/4-20 bolts was easy at the Ace hardware 5 miles away. NBD.
So, I gets the back cover all cleaned up and ready to bolt back on. I have the sealant cap off and ready to squeeze...and it hits me as I'm staring inside the pump housing...where's the impeller? I have to take a second look...sure enuf, no impeller. What the..?.How the..?.Who the..?...son of a biscuit!! Now what do I do, cause there ain't no returns on items from the "demo" racks....
ok...I called Edelbrock and explained what happened. I was looking for an impeller to press on. The guy was appauled that SR would put a "display" pump out for sale.
Display? What do you mean display? says me. We ship non functional pumps out for display. You have a display.
Now I'm appauled and envisioning my 140 clams floating out with the tide.
I grab the pump and head back to SR.
Paperwork and pump in hand I walk up to the "returns" counter and before I can say anything the counter-kid points to the "No returns on Demo items" bold print on my receipt. I smiles and said, I'za just got off the blower with Edelbrock and they are not thrilled that Summit sold a display model. The boys jaw dropped, he grabbed the paper and pump and couldn't find a manager fast enough.
60 seconds later he comes back and someone from behind the big doors are still barking at him as he comes back. "Would you like that back on your card or in cash?" "Neither! I want a working pump for Princess out in the parking lot!"
Sorry, we can't do that because we don't have a returned pump to replace it.
(Yea, I sorta figured that was gonna be the excuse) Nevermind my disappointment and heartbreak...lol..
Fine! Stick it back on the card... I'll go home and pout. . after I break the news to Smiley..lol.
I shared this story with my HS buddy and he about peed himself so I figured you all might get a hoot out of it.

Have a nice weekend

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockopop