Daughters ‘87 needs to ride smooth.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlparkey

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My 1986 C10 Silverado rides as smooth and quiet as any passenger car. Tires make a huge difference in ride quality. I have 2 sets of wheels and tires that I run on the truck. I have the original 15"× 8" Rally wheels with 235/75 -15 all season radials and I have a set of 225/50 -20 on aftermarket rims. I keep the pressure around 35psi. The 15's ride a little smoother because there is more sidewall to absorb bumps. I have stock coil springs and shocks in front with all new control arm bushings and ball joints. I'm also running 2 1/2" drop spindles. I have stock springs in the rear that I removed 3 leaves from for a lower stance. That also makes for a much softer ride. Regular street tires will make a huge difference.

Attachments

• IMG_8152.jpg
    IMG_8152.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
My daughter is taking her 87 tbi off to college soon. We have replaced front end including tie rods, pitman, idler, ball joints(upper/lower) front brake disks, rear drums. We also put on Monroe OE stock shocks for safety at the time. This truck rides like int on the farm, even on smooth hwy. Please give me a build sheet on how to smooth it out. Front springs still need replaced a the leaf springs too. Looking for a reasonably priced, smooth ride only, no show stopper. PLEASE HELP! Which shocks, springs and leafs would make this a comfortable ride? Thank you all.
As her truck is 2WD, the front springs should be pretty soft for a truck. The rear springs, if you want a smooth ride, should be 4-leaf packs. If it has 7 leafs each, you need to swap them out for the 4 leaf packs. Also, use factory-spec tires, as they are fairly low pressure tires. That is just about the only thing you can do, as these trucks were never intended to ride like Cadillacs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelb