Daughters ‘87 needs to ride smooth.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Youre screwed, dude.
Best to buy coffee-colored carpet LMAO!
OMG HAHA that's really funny...

I thought the shocks I bought were pretty great. KYBs.

:signs8::happy175::idiot:
Just spilled a whole cup today on the front bench on the family burb!! Coffee happens

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Could protect your seat like mom/Gma would do?? Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241004_071751_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20241004_071751_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 6

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
^Yup.
The tire pressure concept is lost on so many… even “car guys”. It’s sort of mind boggling.
I guess it’s the if “some” is good, “more” is better, so “max” (psi) just has to be bestest!
Worst part is the effin NHtSA is worse than your shade tree, dont know it all, person. They’ve mandated warnings if you don’t run way too much air pressure in some vehicles. IE newer 3/4ton trucks.
Although it is comical to see people who will beat the hell out of their spleens driving around an empty 3/4ton with 100-200% greater pressure in their tires than needed, “or the low tire light comes on.”

The tires also wear along the center line faster when inflated to max PSI on an empty bed. The back tires that were on my former F250 were like that - the guy had kept them at the or near the sidewall rating which would have been fine when carrying a load, but way too much for the empty bed. Lots of tread on both sides but the center was getting close to the wear bars. Trailer tires will often have the same issue if you don't adjust the pressure for the load (or lack of).

Running too soft can have its own issues though - especially in handling and cornering. I prefer a firmer tire on my cars because too soft can start to get a mushy feel and imprecise handling.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The tires also wear along the center line faster when inflated to max PSI on an empty bed. The back tires that were on my former F250 were like that - the guy had kept them at the or near the sidewall rating which would have been fine when carrying a load, but way too much for the empty bed. Lots of tread on both sides but the center was getting close to the wear bars. Trailer tires will often have the same issue if you don't adjust the pressure for the load (or lack of).

Running too soft can have its own issues though - especially in handling and cornering. I prefer a firmer tire on my cars because too soft can start to get a mushy feel and imprecise handling.
I have 35" E rated Falken Wildpeaks on my K25. They sit at ~28PSI most of the time. When I go put 3,000lbs of gravel or dirt in it I'll bump the pressure up to about 50PSI in the rear and 35 in the front and it rides just about the same as the lower pressure does unloaded. I have 63" K2500 suburban 5-leaf pack in the rear now and 4" lift Tuff Country EZ-Ride HD springs in the front with an ORD sway-bar disconnect. It doesn't ride quite as soft in the front as my C20 used to, but it's pretty close for the most part.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I'm a visual guy, here's a graph to illustrate the load rating and pressure relationship, and the idea of load range E or other higher load tires as well. The OE design is to take the loaded max axle weights, determine the corresponding pressure, then apply factors to account for how low tires are expected to get, how much extra capacity, etc., which means that you get 3/4T trucks jittering around the road and feeling every piece of gravel. Dropping pressure based on ACTUAL tire load gets the ride back to the way tire designers intend them, since we rarely run loaded at the max weights.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
^And there’s load vs pressure charts for all tires. And all tires are rated the same for the same size. Even different load ratings. Only difference is lower load rating tires max out at lower pressures.
And load rating for a particular psi is a liner function of sidewall height and width.
IE the same width and diameter tires. The tire with the smaller rim/higher aspect ratio will have a greater load rating at the same pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tandc49