Daughters ‘87 needs to ride smooth.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
My daughter is taking her 87 tbi off to college soon. We have replaced front end including tie rods, pitman, idler, ball joints(upper/lower) front brake disks, rear drums. We also put on Monroe OE stock shocks for safety at the time. This truck rides like int on the farm, even on smooth hwy. Please give me a build sheet on how to smooth it out. Front springs still need replaced a the leaf springs too. Looking for a reasonably priced, smooth ride only, no show stopper. PLEASE HELP! Which shocks, springs and leafs would make this a comfortable ride? Thank you all.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Comfortable is subjective. I have two kids in college and one refuses to ride in my K10, lol. I, on the other hand, have no problem gripping the wheel a little tighter when crossing RR tracks. The SB suspension, regardless of the ads, was function over form. Radial tires with a non offroad/aggressive tread and matching quality gas shocks will be the biggest difference makers. That and maybe a modern bench seat. I have more squarebodies inside and outside of my shop than I can count. I also have a 2019 2500. I prefer driving my older trucks, but there is no comparison in the design and engineering when it comes to steering, ride, and comfort.
Hopefully, other members will chime in with some better ideas than me, but experience tells me you may be close to the ceiling on any further improvements.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
87 what? 2wd? 4wd? 1/2 ton? 1 ton?

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I should clarify, not all older vehicles had a ride inferior to modern cars. I had a bone stock 1969 Chevy Impala 4 door hardtop with radial tires and Montgomery Ward shocks and it rode like a overstuffed BarcaLounger. But the ride matched the demographic. The reason GM didn't put sliding rear windows on their passenger cars was because they expected the driver to throw his beer can on the floor.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
How many leaves do the rear spring packs have? These trucks won't ever ride smooth like a new truck, but if it's got super heavy springs in the rear, removing springs or swapping for a softer leaf pack would be the first thing to do.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Let me guess, you're on a budget too?
It’s not a rotisserie restoration. I’ll put money in but, she wants the “old” truck. I just want her to have a smoother ride. i.e. dont spill coffee on the interior we just redid. Too bumpy for that right now even on a concrete hwy.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I can tell you this, with my 1981 C10 longbed, literally every part on the truck is brand new (true complete frame off build). I used Bilstein shocks, new coil springs, and had the rear leaf springs custom made to ride as good as possible, particularly with no weight in the bed since it will never haul anything of substance. With all that done, yes it rides wayyyy better than it did stock, but it is nowhere close to what we are used to with anything modern. At the end of the day, it's old technology. I think for a real major difference a coil over conversion would be needed a the minimum.

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
What Bloodhound said. It's a old truck. Yes you could do coil overs front and rear, adjust it any way you want, or, do full air or hydraulic conversion. You would probably be around 10k, parts and labor.
So, first thing, is that it in your picture? If so, throw away those nasty heavy tires.Tall, narrow, soft low pressure tires are best for ride, Yes, car tires.
Then consider a older truck. 72 and before, c10, 2wd, long beds, coil springs front and rear, little weight in bed and those things rode awesome.
Or just buy her a Contigo no spill, no drip coffee mug-----

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads