Cheap defective aftermarket parts….lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vintovka

Reaction score
First Name
vin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My earlier post about failed Asian plastic filters seems to have caused a bit of concern. Last show i saw several very expensive restorations with these that had failed. Owners not happy. Not just plastic but steel parts like bolts, carbs, brake component and alternators are becoming a costly problem.

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Couple months ago we noticed our filter looked odd. On closer inspection the cartridge had detached from the metal inlet side allowing all the debris to pass and partially blocking the outlet. This common chinese made filter was supplied by Edelbrock with a new 1416 carb. I have since seen a dozen or more of these fail especially when using ethanol gas.

Isn't that filter marked with flow direction? The metal end is the outlet, not inlet. It detached because it's flowing backward. Dirt is supposed to get caught on the outside so you can see how dirty it is.

vintovka

Reaction score
First Name
vin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
No - took pic at odd angle so looks just backwards. It was properly installed so flow arrow points toward carb with filter originally attached to metal body. Junk is supposed to collect in empty area before passing thru filter to carb. Think ethanol makes the filter cartridge comes loose on these and is free to move away from the outlet.

Last edited:

vintovka

Reaction score
First Name
vin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Posted this on another forum and many cases are being reported so heads up. Several commenters have added that water removing additives like heet (alcohol) may be either increasing filter failures or causing them directly by dissolving the adhesives that hold the filter to the metal end. Manufacturers must be aware as more of these "see thru" filters have internal supports that hold the filter cartridge in place. Some are talking lawsuit as even biggest carb maker supplied these with new units.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I only use filters with stainless steel inserts from summit or holley. They can be cleaned, don't dissolve and look good. I run a fuel pressure regulator with gauge on my rigs so I can see if something is wrong with the fuel pump or a filter or a line is clogged.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I only use filters with stainless steel inserts from summit or holley. They can be cleaned, don't dissolve and look good. I run a fuel pressure regulator with gauge on my rigs so I can see if something is wrong with the fuel pump or a filter or a line is clogged.
What do they look like?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
No - took pic at odd angle so looks just backwards. It was properly installed so flow arrow points toward carb with filter originally attached to metal body. Junk is supposed to collect in empty area before passing thru filter to carb. Think ethanol makes the filter cartridge comes loose on these and is free to move away from the outlet.

That would be the first fuel filter I've ever seen that's supposed to flow in that direction, from the inside to the outside of the element. If I saw one that was marked to flow that way, I'd assume it was marked backward, and install it the other way. If you examine the construction, I expect you'll find it was designed to flow the other way, and failed mainly because the pressure was pushing on the element from the wrong direction.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
For the record, that muffler in the side pipe assembly was fine and not the source of the clanging noise. Shop that welded me up the exhaust pipes to connect to the side pipes did not do a quality job. Oh well…took it to the only shop I could find within a reasonable distance that does custom exhausts, they had several high $ old cars in getting complete systems. But apparently mine wasn’t nice enough to do it right for more $ than it shoulda cost. Thanks guys….typical case now of it will take more time to take it back for them to fix than it will to do myself at home.
Oh and back to the big heavy steel aftermarket aux fuel tank. Why would this ever have been a good idea back in the day, when you could have used another OEM tank and hardware that only holds 2 gallons less? Did they not sell replacement gas tanks and brackets in the 70s/80s?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsquare