Can the heater core be turned off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Latvius

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
6.2L
Put this in my Tahoe with a shutoff valve, also seen a plain H tube somewhere for a lot cheaper but don't recall.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You can use one of these, properly sized for your hoses, and operate it manually instead of with a cable.

I used something similar on my 82 C10 that was operated by vacuum. Kinda crude, but I would connect the port to a vacuum hose in the winter, and then disconnect and plug the hose in summer. It made a big difference in the summer. Lots of them on Amazon. You just need to find one with the correct hose nipple size.

You must be registered for see images attach
This 100%. Vacuum controlled ones are factory on the OBS SUV's. Correct 5/8 and 3/4 hose size too

Corey Roska

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
78 silverado
Engine Size
If your blending vent control is working, you shouldn't be getting any heat off the core in the cab. In the older chevys it's a cable to control the blending duct. If it isn't completely secured behind the dash, the door may not be closing completely. Also keep in mind bypassing your heater core will reduce the amount of coolant for your engine and possibly result in your truck overheating

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Idk why some people have problems with it some don't. There are pages of guys on 3rd gen and corvette forumns saying they have problems blocking the heater hose. If I wanted to do a simple on off valve I'd look at one for a 1972 camaro,monte,nova etc. Vacuum controlled so on off from the cabin would be easy,just a tee and a vacuum line. Or a vacuum line and an aquarium valve. I personally would want to do a valve with a bypass. I'm sure there's some reason GM went that route,on g bodies, f bodies,later trucks etc. I just don't know the reason. I think I just realized the reason, all small block chevys don't have the rear 2 coolant ports open across the manifold, so my theory is with the back 2 open ,coolant can bypass there ,with those blocked losing the heater as a bypass causes problems. IDK just a theory and it's only 5 minutes old in my head yet so,just a thought at this point.

Last edited:

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here is what I was going to do. I even bought one.

I don't think that would be a good idea if coolant has to circulate before thermostat opens.
If you look at your coolant circuit, some circuits use the heater core circuit to circulate some coolant thru pump, which keeps pump from cavitating.
My 78 requires coolant to circulate, so I could either do the "U" pipe or the bypass valbe option.
And now that fall is here, heat in the cool mornings gets the dew off the glsss.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
My system uses a ball valve on the 5/8" line with cavitation reducer, prior to the ball valve, between the valve and the passenger side water port on my manifold. (Not my head).

My system uses the EDL-7116 manifold.
It has a special circuit for coolant to flow under the intake, so the air/fuel hits a warm aluminum flat deck, as it flows through the intake. This allows a faster warm up on really cold days here in MT sub-zero winters. I also use a reducer before the ball valve in the 5/8" line, before it hits the firewall.

The reducer shrinks the line down to 1/2" for about 1" , in-line with the 5/8" line, using a metal pipe as a restriction.

The restriction slows the flow under the manifold, and also forces the water velocity towards the heater core to increase, so air will not get stuck in there. The back pressure slows the flow.
So water goes from 5/8" through the manifold, to 1/2" restrict-er, to 5/8" through the core to 3/4" to the radiator, in stages.

Soon as the water gets hot under the manifold coolant circuit, the engine sees warmer-ish fuel in the engine and idles down faster, via the ecm. The coolant temp sensor is involved with TBI, as well.

The 5/8" ball valve shut off works for the summer months, so the circuit doesn't run hot water through the cab during the summer. I can clear the fog on the windows with the fresh air blower, without the heater on.

My water pump feeds the 5/8" line though the 7116 manifold. It comes out the top front manifold via a special port on the driver's side front manifold port, to the driver's side manifold heater port sub-manifold space. (There's a fitting on either side of the square carb section of this manifold).

After the coolant flows under the manifold, it exits out the passenger side port, towards the heater core in the firewall.

The in-line restriction keeps warm coolant under the manifold a bit longer, so the TBI gets a warm manifold in -40 winters. Retaining the heat inside the manifold between short stops helps the engine from running at full idle, or choke, as a carb would see, during warm ups. (The 7116 manifold can run carb or TBI/TPI).

This space is under the intake carb or TBI section and allows coolant to flow under the base plate of the intake dual plane circuit.

The warmer water flows under the intake through the passenger side port, to the restriction and ball valve. It heats up the splash plane of the intake. Like a river of warmer water under the air/fuel intake section of this manifold. This prevents the fuel from freezing on a cold start, before it hits the cylinders, after the coolant warms up the aluminum casting. It also stays hot when you leave the truck to grab a coffee at the store in the morning, without having to re-cycle the entire cold start process. The warm water keeps the aluminum intake warmer-ish for a lot longer than it would if not water warmed.

My 3/4" heater core return line goes to the radiator, NOT the manifold.
Do not want a hot steam pressure zone inside the heater core.
Have seen vapor lock if the return goes back to the engine block and the head gasket blows.
Steam can rupture the heater core if the return does not go back towards the radiator, in theory.
If the coolant is seeking the lowest temps, it will seek to go towards the radiator, where it is cooler, rather than back into the engine, where it most certainly will still be hot.

Radiator thermal flow is a high science.

Some people spend thousands on a hot rod cooling system, so it doesn't over heat or under cool.

If you study the reverse cooling system flows of the Corvette engines, you'll see how much difference reverse flow theory can make or break engine efficiency.

Whatever you do, don't mix up engine parts from a reverse flow engine and a standard small block Chevy 350.

The Merc 454 engines for boats have a coolant re-circulation block under the carburetors for cold weather fuel heating on boat engines. These still sell for $90 or more.

GM spent a lot of money running thermodynamics testing to "coolant-heat the fuel air mixture" on high performance marine engines, using the cooling system to pre-heat the intakes for cold weather reliability.

Most people have no clue how much warming the fuel air flow can assist with cold weather ops.

They spend a fortune with "cold air intakes" in the warmer climates though, don't they?

Ball valve your heater core and learn how to tune your cooling system/fuel intake for your climate.
Designing a custom system for various extreme conditions is worth the effort.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris64