Brake light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Hello! The brake lights stopped working in my 76 K10 but all other lights continued to work fine. The brake light switch was in rough shape so I replaced it but instead of the brake lights working, now the brake light bulbs flash instead of the indicator bulbs when the blinker is turned on. I've tried new bulbs, cleaning up the grounds, and cleaning the sockets but the results are the same. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
I ordered new sockets but would I be better off getting a whole new rear wiring harness? All the wiring in my truck is a mess

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hello! The brake lights stopped working in my 76 K10 but all other lights continued to work fine. The brake light switch was in rough shape so I replaced it but instead of the brake lights working, now the brake light bulbs flash instead of the indicator bulbs when the blinker is turned on. I've tried new bulbs, cleaning up the grounds, and cleaning the sockets but the results are the same. Any suggestions on what to do next?
I am no electrical guru, but , the brake light bulbs and turn signal bulbs for the rear are one and the same. The brake light switch is the one that is above the brake pedal and activated by it. Are you sure the bulbs are the correct ones ?

1157 is the part number.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Wiggle the turn signal switch see if you can get the signals to go off and the brake lights to work. The turn signal switch controls power for the brake light and turn signals

Last edited:

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
I am no electrical guru, but , the brake light bulbs and turn signal bulbs for the rear are one and the same. The brake light switch is the one that is above the brake pedal and activated by it. Are you sure the bulbs are the correct ones ?

1157 is the part number.
My truck has a mini bulb for the blinker and 1157 for the brake light
You must be registered for see images attach
the blinker bulb is the little one on the right

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Wiggle the turn signal switch see if you can get the signals to go off and the brake lights to work. The turn signal switch controls power for the brake light and turn signals
Just tried that and no luck

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My truck has a mini bulb for the blinker and 1157 for the brake light
You must be registered for see images attach
the blinker bulb is the little one on the right
The 1157 does all three functions. It is brake tail and turn. That's why the turn signal switch controls power to turn signal and brake. It kills brake light power to the 1157 when the turnbsignal is on pull the tail light housing see if someone has splicingbwires behind it.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
The 1157 does all three functions. It is brake tail and turn. That's why the turn signal switch controls power to turn signal and brake. It kills brake light power to the 1157 when the turnbsignal is on pull the tail light housing see if someone has splicingbwires behind it.
Interesting. It looks like someone had spliced the wires at one point but now they're just connected back together. I'll double check the connections.

What is the mini bulb for? That used to blink when I put the turn signal switch on

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Interesting. It looks like someone had spliced the wires at one point but now they're just connected back together. I'll double check the connections.

What is the mini bulb for? That used to blink when I put the turn signal switch on
That is a side marker light. As wired by GM it comes on with the parking lights and would not blink.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
That is a side marker light. As wired by GM it comes on with the parking lights and would not blink.
I think I'm going to order a new harness for the rear. None of the lights seem to be doing what they're supposed to do lol

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think I'm going to order a new harness for the rear. None of the lights seem to be doing what they're supposed to do lol
I would expose those wires, and use a test light or voltage meter on each wire to determine the 3 functions of the tail light.
If you have all 3 functions the wires are probably crossed, and you can resplice them accordingly.
Also check continuity from those wires to the bulb socket.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
I ended up replacing the rear harness, the bulb sockets, all the rear ground wires, the blinker flasher, and I redid the connect of the white wire under the steering column that runs to the stop light switch and after all that, I finally have brake lights!

The only weird thing was midway through, my dome light started turning on anytime I turned on the headlights and my instrument lights quit working. I didn't touch any wires that would have had anything to do with that but the PO made a real mess of the wiring so who knows lol. I'm planning to pull apart the dash and run new wires that match the OEM wiring diagram so hopefully that will solve my remaining issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy