BFG KO3 vs Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’ve had a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x12.50x18 for 9,000 miles. Decent tires, not wearing extremely well and sub-par snow performance. They were a COVID purchase when options were limited. Looking for better snow performance and not really pumped on the F load rating.

I’ve looked at bfg ko3 and Mickey Thompson BB A/T. The MT BB A/T gets good reviews from people who get tires for free to review, but I looked at them today in person and the siping is only 1/8” deep. Not sure why they went this route. Maybe the only way they could offer a mileage warranty with softer rubber compound.

The KO3 has full depth siping down to the wear bars, but BFGs historically run notoriously small. The 35s on the truck already look small—so much so that I considered 37s. I like the final gear RPM on the freeway. Don’t want to go any smaller.

The mt bb at is a 305/70-18 that supposedly measures 35.3. The ko3 supposedly measures 34.8. With the ko2 being notoriously small, can anyone confirm that the ko3 does not also suffer the same fate?

The mt bb A/T will probably suffer significantly in snow performance once the sipes are gone. I guess I could re-sipe at Les Schwab, but not sure if that’ll hurt the mileage warranty…

Any suggestions on a full size 35 or undersized 37 AT that has deep siping, a mileage warranty and 3PMS rated?

Any KO3 owners out there that can confirm if the KO3 is truer to size than the notoriously undersized KO2?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe @77 K20 is the one on here with a lot of snow experience and the K03's.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think he has the KM3s.

Got off the phone with a buddy who knows more about tires than I do. He suggested I take a feeler gauge—that the sipes are likely full depth in the center but not at the edge of the tread block. In other words, somewhat U-shaped. I’ll check Monday afternoon…

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh yeah, my bad. I read KO3, typed KO3, but my mind told me KM3.

We've had a couple sets of the KO3's on the work trucks. For snow performance and longevity, they are nothing to really write home about. Comparable to all the other A/T type tires we have run. They do tend to wear well, however, we've had a couple of them separate so that's why I don't consider the longevity to be impressive.

Size for size, they look similar to the other brands we have run. I've not measured, but no noticeable difference in tread width, section width or sidewall height.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Oh yeah, my bad. I read KO3, typed KO3, but my mind told me KM3.

We've had a couple sets of the KO3's on the work trucks. For snow performance and longevity, they are nothing to really write home about. Comparable to all the other A/T type tires we have run. They do tend to wear well, however, we've had a couple of them separate so that's why I don't consider the longevity to be impressive.

Size for size, they look similar to the other brands we have run. I've not measured, but no noticeable difference in tread width, section width or sidewall height.
You guys must’ve been early adopters. I’m not positive, but I think other than the OEM version that’s been out for almost 2 years, the KO3 has been out for about a year. That’s unfortunate to hear that a couple have separated on you guys.

I think I’ll check the sipe depth on the Mickey Thompsons one more time tomorrow. Worst case I can resipe them at Les Schwab if the aren’t full depth. They are reported to be an excellent tire otherwise.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
@Frankenchevy glad to hear I’m not the only one that has recognized the Ridge Grappler/Toyo RT tread design is hot garbage in snow. Maybe if they were manually siped (that always helps), but I never had mine done. They came on the truck, wore like cast iron, were smooth and not too loud, but snow = no bueno.
The MTs you posted should be fine in snow. Similar to a Cooper AT3 or Toyo AT whatever.
BFG ATKOs are GREAT in snow, off the shelf even without additional siping. I’d bet they’re a bit better than the MT ATs.
That said, tire pressure is a great tool or hindrance in snow which you know. And additional siping of virtually any tire will increase traction on snow/ice/wet considerably.
You can turn a HT tread type tire into a decent snow tire just by putting it under the knife. Did it to a set of BFG Rugged Terrains back in the day. Those tires are like Bambi on ice, until you slice em up.
Had a set of Toyo ATs, already good all around wet/snow traction. After the ginsu treatment, they drive like a set of Hakkepilettas on snow!

For those with no experience with siped tires and only knowledge is what they read on the internet, they do not damage the tire and effectively do not reduce tire life by much if any, IF you’re not trying to intentionally tear them up. LOTS of miles hauling a 4klb truck camper on a srw on siped tires and the ONLY additional wear noted was during Alaska use with a lot of gravel highways. And steep hills. That will cause more wear n tear for obvious reasons. Driving from here to the east coast on paved roads, no additional wear.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You guys must’ve been early adopters. I’m not positive, but I think other than the OEM version that’s been out for almost 2 years, the KO3 has been out for about a year. That’s unfortunate to hear that a couple have separated on you guys.

I think I’ll check the sipe depth on the Mickey Thompsons one more time tomorrow. Worst case I can resipe them at Les Schwab if the aren’t full depth. They are reported to be an excellent tire otherwise.

I'm not sure. Between all the trucks (actually only two of those specific ones now) and all the miles and all the tires, I really can't keep track. But a couple of the BFG's were just installed earlier this year.

I wouldn't be afraid to try out the Mickeys. I know that other models are very good, including a few sets of Cepeks which are the same company.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@Frankenchevy glad to hear I’m not the only one that has recognized the Ridge Grappler/Toyo RT tread design is hot garbage in snow. Maybe if they were manually siped (that always helps), but I never had mine done. They came on the truck, wore like cast iron, were smooth and not too loud, but snow = no bueno.
The MTs you posted should be fine in snow. Similar to a Cooper AT3 or Toyo AT whatever.
BFG ATKOs are GREAT in snow, off the shelf even without additional siping. I’d bet they’re a bit better than the MT ATs.
That said, tire pressure is a great tool or hindrance in snow which you know. And additional siping of virtually any tire will increase traction on snow/ice/wet considerably.
You can turn a HT tread type tire into a decent snow tire just by putting it under the knife. Did it to a set of BFG Rugged Terrains back in the day. Those tires are like Bambi on ice, until you slice em up.
Had a set of Toyo ATs, already good all around wet/snow traction. After the ginsu treatment, they drive like a set of Hakkepilettas on snow!

For those with no experience with siped tires and only knowledge is what they read on the internet, they do not damage the tire and effectively do not reduce tire life by much if any, IF you’re not trying to intentionally tear them up. LOTS of miles hauling a 4klb truck camper on a srw on siped tires and the ONLY additional wear noted was during Alaska use with a lot of gravel highways. And steep hills. That will cause more wear n tear for obvious reasons. Driving from here to the east coast on paved roads, no additional wear.

Siping can also increase the amount of tread 'squirm' though and can be very undesirable at higher speeds.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Siping can also increase the amount of tread 'squirm' though and can be very undesirable at higher speeds.
Can? It actually does to some extent. Has to if you’re making the treads softer.
Is it an undesirable behavior or even noticeable?
Not in the many sets of different tires I’ve siped. Even the way I drive.
I’d say it’s largely conjecture.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Can? It actually does to some extent. Has to if you’re making the treads softer.
Is it an undesirable behavior or even noticeable?
Not in the many sets of different tires I’ve siped. Even the way I drive.
I’d say it’s largely conjecture.

No sir, I was making a statement. Siping can increase the amount of tread squirm, which can be very annoying at higher speeds. Or even a bit on the dangerous side of things with a not-so-competent driver behind the wheel. Especially when towing. If siping had no side-effects, all tires would have siping and the siping would be full depth.

But it's a case by case. Some tires and tread block designs are more susceptible to squirm than others. But often times it's just due to the quality of the tire's construction.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
No sir, I was making a statement. Siping can increase the amount of tread squirm, which can be very annoying at higher speeds. Or even a bit on the dangerous side of things with a not-so-competent driver behind the wheel. Especially when towing. If siping had no side-effects, all tires would have siping and the siping would be full depth.

But it's a case by case. Some tires and tread block designs are more susceptible to squirm than others. But often times it's just due to the quality of the tire's construction.
Ok you’re right.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
There seems to be two different types of KO3 tread designs out there:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There is a OE KO3 and a "regular" KO3.

The "regular" one seems to be pretty new and not a whole lot of sizes available. More are coming out though.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hate the BFGs in the snow. When they're brand new they aren't completely pathetic, but get a few miles on them and they suck.

I can't speak to the MT BB AT, but I have the MT and they're amazing off road and not stupid loud on the highway. If I had to choose between the 2, even though I admit I've never used the MT BB AT, I'd absolutely get the MTs at this point.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I went with the Mickey Thompsons. I got a set of 5 305/70-18 for $2070 installed out the door. Not bad considering what they retail for nowadays.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Post some pics of them when you get a chance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
10ptBUck