Best way to run power from truck battery to trailer winch. Quick disconnect ends.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Think about what Ricko is saying. It makes a big difference in what is the best and/or most economical or practical approach.
Couple times a year? First, don’t let the winch sit out in the weather or at least cover it from sun n rain.
Second? I wouldn’t even mess with all that. I’d just keep a deep cycle battery in a battery box,on a maintainer in the garage and bring it along and connect it to the winch as needed.
All the work and expense of making it plug n play seems to get lost if you only use it rarely. IMO.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don’t know if this applies to where you keep your trailer but sometime in the near future I’ll be in the process of rigging up some kind of solar charger for my bosses dozer that sits outside…

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Think about what Ricko is saying. It makes a big difference in what is the best and/or most economical or practical approach.
Couple times a year? First, don’t let the winch sit out in the weather or at least cover it from sun n rain.
Second? I wouldn’t even mess with all that. I’d just keep a deep cycle battery in a battery box,on a maintainer in the garage and bring it along and connect it to the winch as needed.
All the work and expense of making it plug n play seems to get lost if you only use it rarely. IMO.
Buddy of mine used to pull the second battery out of his truck (Dodge Ram w/Cummins) and run his trailer winch with that. I can't recall if he had actual top post terminals on the wiring or just squeeze clamps. Probably the latter.... whatever it was, he made it work! And he hauled cars all over the South, so he used it frequently. He was a tight wallet country boy, and he didn't spend $$ if it wasn't absolutely necessary to.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I have a harbor freight 12k winch mounted on my trailer. I power it with the largest automotive battery that would fit in a battery box. I have the trailer wired to charge the battery whenever it plugged into the truck thru the 7 way plug.

As long as you have a good battery it should hold a charge for months.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Here's the Blue Sea Systems reference on wire gauge at amps:
https://d2pyqm2yd3fw2i.cloudfront.net/files/resources/reference/20010.pdf

Here's the rest of the Reference Library for alternative data and options for isolators:
https://www.bluesea.com/support/reference

You can download the catalog and the reference is included.
It's all copy written, so I did not post the charts.

Keep in mind, every battery is considered a DEEP Cell Marine using the Blue Sea charts and diagrams.

Every picture of a 250hp motor is another load, just like your portable welder, your winch, your 200 amp power inverter, your camper, you sewerage pump, etc.

There's diagrams for multi-battery with and without isolators and solar backup and solar charging options, for nearly every style of system you can imagine.

WARNE is $389 on sale for $311 directly from WARNE for the Truck side winch cables with isolator:
https://www.warn.com/quick-connect-power-cable-32966
(You can find it cheaper elsewhere, like ebay).

Here's the 90 inch extended cable for the trailer side:
https://www.warn.com/winch-quick-connect-power-cable-90-106077

Don-T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have an 8k Warn winch on my car trailer that is rarely used. When I do use it I don’t know what truck I will have so I do have a setup like you show with a good insulating sleeve over it. When I do use it, typically it is for a small tractor or a pickup truck with inflated tires so it is not a very hard pull. If the winch struggles enough to start warming up wires I just double the line pull. That has only happened one time.

If you can put a receiver on the front of your truck you can use a short power cable to help with the power loss.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a harbor freight 12k winch mounted on my trailer. I power it with the largest automotive battery that would fit in a battery box. I have the trailer wired to charge the battery whenever it plugged into the truck thru the 7 way plug.

As long as you have a good battery it should hold a charge for months.

This is my preferred method as well. Simple and reliable. I've never found a need for an isolator on the aux wire. The winch should be used with the tow vehicle running anyhow.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The reason I was talking relay as an isolator was as a way to charge a trailer battery with the vehicle running on a 4 wire system, I suppose a person could run a single 12v source from battery to trailer,never thought about it. I think for the small expense involved and fairly easy install I'd still want to isolate the 2 batteries.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The reason I was talking relay as an isolator was as a way to charge a trailer battery with the vehicle running on a 4 wire system, I suppose a person could run a single 12v source from battery to trailer,never thought about it. I think for the small expense involved and fairly easy install I'd still want to isolate the 2 batteries.

Honest question... is there anyone with a trailer big enough to utilize a winch that doesn't run a 7-pin connector anymore? I thought pretty much everyone has went to the 7-pin, which has the aux wire.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Honest question... is there anyone with a trailer big enough to utilize a winch that doesn't run a 7-pin connector anymore? I thought pretty much everyone has went to the 7-pin, which has the aux wire.
My trailer is big enough and 4 wire,but it's very old. Wow just realized it's gotta be 30 years old and my usual truck is almost 40.

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Ok, Thanks everyone for all your efforts in educating me with this. I guess I was overthinking
what I wanted. Good Idea, but not worth it. I only use this a couple times a year. It stays in storage.
Enclosed. I will just find a solar panel I can use to trickle the charge for the battery. Thanks again.

I got to use it today and just put another battery from one of the other c10's. The WARN winch is
BAD A$$.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krash