Barn Door Alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Couldn't find anything using my Google Fu. Anyone have any tips for adjusting how the barn doors on a Suburban hang?

Got a pair of used replacements to replace our rusty doors. Kinda wishing I'd never unbolted the old rusty ones now. lol Fiddling with the hinge adjustment to try and get them to hang right is infuriating. I ended up with three pairs of hinges between the two sets of doors, and looking at them, it seems some have a slight bend (some are flat, some bent to varying degrees) in the plate that bolts to the body. Maybe I should get them close, then remove a hinge and throw it in the press to bend it a tad? That seems ridiculous, but I don't see an easier way to do it.

As an example.... LH door, wide gap to the body at the bottom, but TIGHT up top.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Couldn't find anything using my Google Fu. Anyone have any tips for adjusting how the barn doors on a Suburban hang?

Got a pair of used replacements to replace our rusty doors. Kinda wishing I'd never unbolted the old rusty ones now. lol Fiddling with the hinge adjustment to try and get them to hang right is infuriating. I ended up with three pairs of hinges between the two sets of doors, and looking at them, it seems some have a slight bend (some are flat, some bent to varying degrees) in the plate that bolts to the body. Maybe I should get them close, then remove a hinge and throw it in the press to bend it a tad? That seems ridiculous, but I don't see an easier way to do it.

As an example.... LH door, wide gap to the body at the bottom, but TIGHT up top.

You must be registered for see images attach
I’ve never messed with barn doors on any gen burb, but have always heard how people don’t like them (not sure why, maybe this is why?).
It’s very reasonable they could be tweaked or bent, or need to be bent to align. Assuming you can use body shims maybe to open the tight gap.
Did you use the hinges off the original doors if those had good gaps and closed ok?
I’m mostly spitballing.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is the gap even across the top? Hopefully not.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Is the gap even across the top? Hopefully not.

On the LH door, sorta. Pretty close. If I could get the top of that door to come towards the center even 1/16th, it'd be golden. RH door, it's so far out, I gotta start from scratch. Sitting WAY low. Seems like tiny adjustments, where you can't tell if it even moved while you're holding the door (watching my wife struggle with the ratchet lol), make BIG changes.

I’ve never messed with barn doors on any gen burb, but have always heard how people don’t like them (not sure why, maybe this is why?).
It’s very reasonable they could be tweaked or bent, or need to be bent to align. Assuming you can use body shims maybe to open the tight gap.
Did you use the hinges off the original doors if those had good gaps and closed ok?
I’m mostly spitballing.

There's really not a great way to shim them, as the hinges fit through slots in the body and there just isn't much room to move them like that. Getting shims in there would be a nightmare too.

Bending them, well it's at least 1/4in thick steel strap. Doable.... but dang.

I ended up with 3 pairs of hinges. The "new" doors still had them on one door. We were playing musical hinges for a bit, trying different combos to get the doors to fit better. That's actually where the "bend them" idea came from, as I noticed some had a slight bend to the flat that bolts to the body, and others did not.

Probably a bad sign that I couldn't find anything discussing this on a forum search. Ugh. There's a service manual around here somewhere, if I can find it. Maybe it'll have some insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cousin_Eddie