Backup light socket for 1982 Chevy C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownie82C10

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
4.1L Inline 6
I noticed that one of my backup lights was out, so I removed the light cover and eventually discovered this: The previous truck owner or a service tech had wired a replacement 1157 bulb socket where an 1156 bulb socket should go. The inside dual contacts at the base of the socket gave away the problem.

I can't believe the backup light had worked properly and consistently at all. I know the bulb has worked because I've tested it occasionally. Also, the bulb melted a nice round spot inside the non-red backup portion of the light cover. It never should have done this. Backup lights aren't normally on long enough to generate the kind of heat necessary to melt -- but not melt through -- the bulb cover.

Would the Dorman 85827 two-wire socket for an 1156 bulb be a good replacement part in this situation? Are there better options?

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
If you put a 1157 bulb into an 1156 socket, that can turn on both circuits within the bulb, brake light and tail lights, at the same time and melt the housing. Check the other light and hopefully that has not been tampered with. You can get either 1156 one wire or 1157 two wire sockets.

The 85827 is correct. The black wire goes to a good ground. The Standard Products S-63 is the same and also has the ground wire.

Brownie82C10

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
4.1L Inline 6
Thanks, Albrigap. I did check the lights on the other side. The socket for the backup light is the correct one -- for an 1156 bulb -- though it's old and also needs to be replaced. The plastic housing on the rear right isn't melted like the one on the rear left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy