83’ Blazer: In need of a factory muffler heat shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
1983 Blazer: I am in need of a factory muffler heat shield for the right side for dual exhaust. I’m assuming that my Blazer originally didn’t come with dual exhaust and is the reason it didn’t have a heat shield for the right side. I’ve been looking online but can’t find one. I’ve checked AMD, LMC, Motor City K5, Brothers Trucks and Dynacorn but is not offered. Anyone have one for sale or know where I can find one short of a junkyard? Any other recommendations for a heat shield if I can’t find a factory one? Also, is there any point in keeping the catalytic converter heat shield, if not required for emissions testing. If there’s no need for it, I want to remove it but will be difficult since the bolts go in from the top of the frame and won’t come out unless the body is lifted. I’ll have to cut and drill the bolts out from the bottom. Just wanted to pose the question before I punish myself. Thanks y’all!

Attachments

• IMG_9888.jpeg
    IMG_9888.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9887.jpeg
    IMG_9887.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9889.jpeg
    IMG_9889.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Bueller, Bueller? Anyone?

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I’m not sure any 80’s blazers would have had dual exhaust factory.

When I say dual exhaust I mean separate pipes from each manifold, 305s (was it 305s?) would have had the dual exit on the drivers side, but that was a 1 in 2 out muffler deal.

My friends 75 had factory dual exhaust, but no cats, and no heat shields either.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Mine was a factory 305, but I installed a new GM crate 350. Just thought I would see if anybody had another heat shield so I could run dual exhaust. Thanks for the reply!

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
New Boyz Squarebody didn’t have one either.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Do you actually need one? I ran the K20 for a while after painting it with no heat shields on 3” duals 40 series.
But to your question, it just occurred to me that the 86K20 original 350 truck has dual heat shields…and I’d have bet the farm that it was originally factory single exhuast? Well, regardless, I did a search and found a couple used sets of OE dual heat shields for pickups. Not sure if they’d fit on the Blazer, but a junkyard may be a good source. They’re stainless steel. So they should not be rusted out on many junkers?

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Thank y’all for the input. I may very well try to find one in a junkyard since I’ve exhausted all other resources. However, I did find aftermarket heat shields that attach to the mufflers as another possible option. Let me ask you another question, since I am considering installing true straight dual exhaust from the (latest technology) Hooker cast iron manifolds which is advertised as being less restrictive/higher flow than traditional cast iron manifolds (see pic) in an attempt to preserve as much horsepower as possible that I paid for in a new higher performance GM crate SP350 (385HP/405TQ). How much performance would I loose if I only run single exhaust through one muffler and one tailpipe (or split into two tailpipes?) vs straight duals with two mufflers. If the performance (HP/gas mileage, etc) is negligible then perhaps I shouldn’t even consider dual exhaust. It’s not a race car! My goal with the exhaust was for better manifold to cyl head sealing with thick flanges, longer lasting, more durable, less maintenance, more quiet, good gas mileage but also without sacrificing too much power. Basically, I wanted to find some middle ground between poor flowing cast iron manifolds and headers. I’m probably over thinking all of this! Would appreciate your input on this!

Attachments

• IMG_9858.jpeg
    IMG_9858.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9841.jpeg
    IMG_9841.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 15

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
The heat shields for the muffler are not needed as much as the Cat. The Cat gets very hot and much hotter than the mufflers. Leave the Cat heat shield alone. You can run 3" singles and be close to dual 2 1/2 up to 300 hp. Never knew Hooker made exhaust manifolds. They should be good!

My 90 Suburban would barely pull itself and the engine was heating. I pulled the Cat and installed a straight converter test pipe. It pulls again and no issues with heating. I am still testing with the test pipe.

Last edited:

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
A catalytic converter is not required thus my reasoning to remove that heat shield. What do you mean by “up to 300 HP”? My engine is a 385HP SBC350. Is a single 2-1/2” or 3” exhaust not enough flow or do I really need dual exhaust to get enough flow?

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
A single 3” will be just fine with your engine. Much less likely to have any drone sounds as well. Use a good flowing y or merge pipe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy