700R4 started shifting really high RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Hi all,

My 700R4 (behind a 6.2L diesel) just started shifting at really high RPM, pretty close to full-throttle RPM's most of the time. It acts like the TV cable is stuck at or near the full throttle position, but it's not stuck and moves normally, and once in a while it'll shift pretty close to normal RPM. Fluid level is fine, and the fluid is good. Makes no difference whether it's cold or hot, acts the same either way. It was rebuilt around 60K-70K miles ago and it's worked fine ever since, until the last 200 miles or so of a recent road trip, when this started. Any ideas? Stuck governor maybe?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
My guess would be that the throttle valve itself is stuck. So it's shifting on the governor, not throttle position. I believe there's a kit available with an assist spring to push the valve back.

There's much better transmission people here that can probably direct you to thr correct item.

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
My guess would be that the throttle valve itself is stuck. So it's shifting on the governor, not throttle position.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the throttle valve is less likely because the cable seems to move normally. But I don't know how it's hooked up inside the transmission; maybe there's a spring in there that will make the cable return even if the throttle valve is stuck open? The cable has a bit of slack at the idle position, which I don't remember being there before, but it's been a while since I installed it so I may not be remembering correctly. Maybe that's a sign of a problem with the throttle valve?

I'll pull the governor and get a look at it as soon as I have a chance, but that may not be today. I read on another forum about jamming the governor weights in the out position just to test, so will try that if the governor looks OK.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Again, there's WAY better transmission guys here than me, and it's been a long time since I've had my hands in a 700R4, but IIRC, the cable moves a lever that pushes up on the valve. So, if the valve sticks the lever returns and the valve stays put. Thus the transmission thinks you're at WOT and holds the gear until the governor forces an upshift.

The cable is not linked to the valve, it just pushes on it. The valve relies on fluid pressure to make it follow the cable back when you come off the throttle. Hence the kit with the spring for sticking, or just faster response.

Where is @NickTransmissions when you need him?

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The cable moves the valve itself. It's basically just a little plunger, then the cable has a hook on it that just slips through the top of the valve. I can't remember the spring setup, but the cable itself does not have a return spring.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yup I think Transgo makes a new plunger kit just for this problem if I remember correctly. That happened to Silvy Burby when I still had her. Somebody on here recommended that to me and it fixed it.

@yevgenievich is the one that recommended it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here is the thread

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Where is @NickTransmissions when you need him?
Building transmissions, lol...Coincidently, I have two 700R4s going back together as we speak.

I also suspect TV valve sticking, another mentioned Transgo's TV boost valve which is the way to go - I install them (and that shift kit) in all my 700R4s.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the throttle valve is less likely because the cable seems to move normally. But I don't know how it's hooked up inside the transmission; maybe there's a spring in there that will make the cable return even if the throttle valve is stuck open? The cable has a bit of slack at the idle position, which I don't remember being there before, but it's been a while since I installed it so I may not be remembering correctly. Maybe that's a sign of a problem with the throttle valve?

I'll pull the governor and get a look at it as soon as I have a chance, but that may not be today. I read on another forum about jamming the governor weights in the out position just to test, so will try that if the governor looks OK.

The governor valve can also stick, causing similar symptoms so when you pull the governor, turn it upside down in your hand and actuate the weights...You should see the governor valve moving freely as you work the weights in and out, so to speak. Check the condition of the gear while you're at it - if it shows signs of wear (or if the valve is sticking) punch out the roll pin holding it in place and yank it off...If the valve isn't moving when you do your test, remove it and polish the inside of the bore with bench buddies...These are small abrasive hones that can help remove small rough spots in bores to relieve sticky valves. Then install a new gear once you're all done...This is a good service to do regardless...

As far as the TV boost valve, main spring, plunger and sleeve are concerned - you can have a valve sticking regardless of how the TV cable feels as the primary spring will still provide tension for the cable. So if the TV valve is sticking, you'll have late upshifts, early upshifts or no upshifts, depending on where exactly it's hung up.

I'd conduct a line pressure test at idle then at stall to see what your values are at those two settings...If your line rise is poor or erratic at either setting, it's a sign the TV valve is sticking. Drop the valve body, install the Transgo SK700R4 shift kit, including their TV valve...Drill the plate per their instructions, if this is just a cruiser.

There's other things you can do to the valve body but you can let me know if you plan on modding it and I'll post a few other tips/pointers...

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
The governor valve can also stick, causing similar symptoms

Thanks for the very detailed response. I still haven't been able to get back to it, but expect to tomorrow. In the meantime, from the symptoms, do you have an idea of whether the TV valve or governor is the more likely culprit? I'm planning to start with the governor since it's easier to get to. If I have to get to the TV valve, I'll definitely install that Transgo part.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks for the very detailed response. I still haven't been able to get back to it, but expect to tomorrow. In the meantime, from the symptoms, do you have an idea of whether the TV valve or governor is the more likely culprit? I'm planning to start with the governor since it's easier to get to. If I have to get to the TV valve, I'll definitely install that Transgo part.
Probably the TV valve but it's good to check both...I'd do the line pressure test before you take anything off/out.

Let me know if you need instructions for conducting the test.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Hi all,

My 700R4 (behind a 6.2L diesel) just started shifting at really high RPM, pretty close to full-throttle RPM's most of the time. It acts like the TV cable is stuck at or near the full throttle position, but it's not stuck and moves normally, and once in a while it'll shift pretty close to normal RPM. Fluid level is fine, and the fluid is good. Makes no difference whether it's cold or hot, acts the same either way. It was rebuilt around 60K-70K miles ago and it's worked fine ever since, until the last 200 miles or so of a recent road trip, when this started. Any ideas? Stuck governor maybe?

Thanks.
Is that a stock setup? I did not know that a 6.2d had that transmission. Reason, I have a TH400, but have a 700r4, would really help going down the road at 70, I don't go over 65 the way it is.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Is that a stock setup? I did not know that a 6.2d had that transmission. Reason, I have a TH400, but have a 700r4, would really help going down the road at 70, I don't go over 65 the way it is.
Yep, some of those 6.2Ds had the 700R4s...The governors came with slightly heavier weights and springs to promote earlier shift points but I don't think anything else about the diesel units are different than the V8 gas versions. TC may stall a little lower as well but that's it AFAIK.

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel

Yes it's stock. My understanding is, 1/2 tons got the 700R4, 3/4 tons got the TH400. I assume the reasoning was, 3/4 tons are more likely to get worked a lot harder, and the 700R4 is pretty borderline in a full-size rig even without that, unless it's been rebuilt with some stronger parts. A 700R4 might be an option for you, but Nick would know a lot more about that than I do.

I still haven't gotten back to it, but going to try really hard to check the governor tomorrow. I'm thinking it's probably the TV valve, but the governor is easy to check first. The governor cover is stuck on with RTV silicone, which the shop that rebuilt it years ago must've done, so hopefully I can get it apart without bending it.

I don't have a gauge to do a pressure test but could buy it if necessary. But it seems to have plenty of pressure; when it finally does shift it snaps into gear pretty firmly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy