6.2 diesel fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmehringer001

Reaction score
First Name
Paxton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I have a 6.2 diesel that has already had the fuel filter swapped to a spin-on type. Is there any way to get something so I still have my wires hooked up like the box filter?

Also I have another with the box style yet and I think it leaks some. Is there a common place to check for leaks and can it be easily fixed/replaced?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Maybe find a spin on filter with a water sensor in the bottom is my only suggestion

backwoodsman

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban K1500
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
My '83 came from the factory with a spin-on primary filter/water separator, which I'm glad to have rather than the more problematic box filter. The water-in-fuel light is connected to a sensor on the fuel pickup in the tank. For many years the fuel line has been connected to the fuel drain line that sits on the bottom of the tank, rather than the fuel pickup, which I did as a temporary measure and never got around to redoing because it works just fine. In fact I like it better; I want any water to be sucked up and caught in the primary filter where I can drain it, rather than sitting in the tank forever. Of course I'll never see the WIF light come on, but I never saw it before that change either. I'm sure I don't check the filter for water more than once a year, because I usually find none, or occasionally a tiny bit. I imagine water might be more of an issue in a more humid climate, but I used to live in western Oregon, and rarely found water there either.

All that to say, if it's the WIF light you're worried about, I'd say just leave it disconnected. But if you really want to, you could get a fuel pickup with the water sensor, and wire it to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy