1999 454 carb swap. best street carb, 600? 650? 750? CFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm not arguing, but can you explain this further?
A carb mixes air and fuel as it enters the manifold. When that mass of air hits the bottom of the manifold it has to turn 90 degrees and make its way thru the runners until it compresses against the back of the intake valve until it opens. Every change in direction makes the air/fuel mixture want to separate. EFI doesn't mix the two until it's ready to enter the combustion chamber. That's a dry manifold. To your point, dry air is lighter and responds faster than heavy air. That directly relates to throttle response. It's similar to sucking water through a straw versus a milkshake. Viscosity. A lot of people mistake that faster response as more hp. An EFI doesn't make more power than a carb, it just feels like it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A carb mixes air and fuel as it enters the manifold. When that mass of air hits the bottom of the manifold it has to turn 90 degrees and make its way thru the runners until it compresses against the back of the intake valve until it opens. Every change in direction makes the air/fuel mixture want to separate. EFI doesn't mix the two until it's ready to enter the combustion chamber. That's a dry manifold. To your point, dry air is lighter and responds faster than heavy air. That directly relates to throttle response. It's similar to sucking water through a straw versus a milkshake. Viscosity. A lot of people mistake that faster response as more hp. An EFI doesn't make more power than a carb, it just feels like it.

The dry air vs wet air makes sense, but isn't that kind of splitting hairs? I'm betting port design and velocity are far more of an impact when it comes to throttle response. All things being equal, the wet/dry difference probably could not be felt on any typical engine, I'm assuming.

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size

Nice clear explaination - makes sense too. Based on that, I'm assuming that a TBI (which is still technically electronically controlled so would still in my mind be an EFI system) would have the same drawback as a carb in that its a wet manifold setup? Whereas a newer style injection with an injector for each cylinder would be the dry manifold setup?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The dry air vs wet air makes sense, but isn't that kind of splitting hairs? I'm betting port design and velocity are far more of an impact when it comes to throttle response. All things being equal, the wet/dry difference probably could not be felt on any typical engine, I'm assuming.
I see your point. There's no way to test one versus the other without changing a bunch of variables. Comparing an electric fans performance with different air density is an easy way for me to understand the concept. The denser the air, the more amps is drawn to move it. I'll settle on "we're both correct".

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice clear explaination - makes sense too. Based on that, I'm assuming that a TBI (which is still technically electronically controlled so would still in my mind be an EFI system) would have the same drawback as a carb in that its a wet manifold setup? Whereas a newer style injection with an injector for each cylinder would be the dry manifold setup?
Correct. TBI is sort of a hybrid. Like a mullet or an El Camino. Good at both but not great at either.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I will be running a 750cfm on my 1997 L-29 Vortec Big Block when the time comes.

The current trucks big block runs a 750cfm and we can get between 7 and 12 mpg with it, similar to the worn out Q-jet it replaced.
Mine will be a Holley as we have several at the house and all the tuning parts for them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I see your point. There's no way to test one versus the other without changing a bunch of variables. Comparing an electric fans performance with different air density is an easy way for me to understand the concept. The denser the air, the more amps is drawn to move it. I'll settle on "we're both correct".

I definitely think you are correct, no argument there. I just think that if all other things are equal, nobody could possibly tell the difference in throttle response, even though the dry intake would technically show a better result.

I'm just basing my opinion off of all the carb/tbi engines out there that often seem to have perfect throttle response. It's hard to improve upon perfection.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
On some newer engines they have gone one step further and used Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) to inject the gas directly into the cylinder - which means only the air stream is moving past the valves.

However, one downside of GDI is that the gas/air mixture is no longer passing around/through the valves, so you don't get any natural cleansing action from the gasoline and its additives.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thanks Bucket. I dont want to over or under carb it, Thats why I ask. Just was not sure what a stock 454
should have.
A qjet you can't over or under carbureat it the secondary air doors only allow as much air as your engine can use. That's why they successfully ran Quadrajets on 6 cyl OHCs to 301s to 500 Cadillacs. There are some quality qjet rebuilders out there,that sell rebuilt Qjets.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On some newer engines they have gone one step further and used Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) to inject the gas directly into the cylinder - which means only the air stream is moving past the valves.

However, one downside of GDI is that the gas/air mixture is no longer passing around/through the valves, so you don't get any natural cleansing action from the gasoline and its additives.
Correct and I wonder why they don't have that issue with the diesels?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tat27