1999 454 carb swap. best street carb, 600? 650? 750? CFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm not arguing, but can you explain this further?
A carb mixes air and fuel as it enters the manifold. When that mass of air hits the bottom of the manifold it has to turn 90 degrees and make its way thru the runners until it compresses against the back of the intake valve until it opens. Every change in direction makes the air/fuel mixture want to separate. EFI doesn't mix the two until it's ready to enter the combustion chamber. That's a dry manifold. To your point, dry air is lighter and responds faster than heavy air. That directly relates to throttle response. It's similar to sucking water through a straw versus a milkshake. Viscosity. A lot of people mistake that faster response as more hp. An EFI doesn't make more power than a carb, it just feels like it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A carb mixes air and fuel as it enters the manifold. When that mass of air hits the bottom of the manifold it has to turn 90 degrees and make its way thru the runners until it compresses against the back of the intake valve until it opens. Every change in direction makes the air/fuel mixture want to separate. EFI doesn't mix the two until it's ready to enter the combustion chamber. That's a dry manifold. To your point, dry air is lighter and responds faster than heavy air. That directly relates to throttle response. It's similar to sucking water through a straw versus a milkshake. Viscosity. A lot of people mistake that faster response as more hp. An EFI doesn't make more power than a carb, it just feels like it.

The dry air vs wet air makes sense, but isn't that kind of splitting hairs? I'm betting port design and velocity are far more of an impact when it comes to throttle response. All things being equal, the wet/dry difference probably could not be felt on any typical engine, I'm assuming.

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size

Nice clear explaination - makes sense too. Based on that, I'm assuming that a TBI (which is still technically electronically controlled so would still in my mind be an EFI system) would have the same drawback as a carb in that its a wet manifold setup? Whereas a newer style injection with an injector for each cylinder would be the dry manifold setup?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The dry air vs wet air makes sense, but isn't that kind of splitting hairs? I'm betting port design and velocity are far more of an impact when it comes to throttle response. All things being equal, the wet/dry difference probably could not be felt on any typical engine, I'm assuming.
I see your point. There's no way to test one versus the other without changing a bunch of variables. Comparing an electric fans performance with different air density is an easy way for me to understand the concept. The denser the air, the more amps is drawn to move it. I'll settle on "we're both correct".

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice clear explaination - makes sense too. Based on that, I'm assuming that a TBI (which is still technically electronically controlled so would still in my mind be an EFI system) would have the same drawback as a carb in that its a wet manifold setup? Whereas a newer style injection with an injector for each cylinder would be the dry manifold setup?
Correct. TBI is sort of a hybrid. Like a mullet or an El Camino. Good at both but not great at either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bittenbyajerk