1987 TBI fuel pump issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiblackledge

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I have a 1987 chevy R20 with the 350 TBI and dual tanks, the right tank fuel pump was bad, I ordered a new one and installed, drove the truck and during hard acceleration it seams as though it is not getting enough fuel, when I swap to the left tank it does not do that and I can get in it and it will accelerate with no issues, I'm wondering if the new fuel pump can not keep up and should I replace it with another. Aslo the truck is completly stock.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a 1987 chevy R20 with the 350 TBI and dual tanks, the right tank fuel pump was bad, I ordered a new one and installed, drove the truck and during hard acceleration it seams as though it is not getting enough fuel, when I swap to the left tank it does not do that and I can get in it and it will accelerate with no issues, I'm wondering if the new fuel pump can not keep up and should I replace it with another. Aslo the truck is completly stock.
Make sure none of the hoses got kinked or crimped,try running it with no gas cap. Post back.

Jiblackledge

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I did purchase a delphi pump and I was very careful to make sure the hoses were not kinked or crimped because the tank has to be dropped and I also lifted the bed off so that I could check the hoses after I put the tank back in. So this is why I'm a little confused. The left side no issue but the right side with new pump it has issues.
You must be registered for see images attach

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is the switching valve working properly? They do go bad eventually.

Jiblackledge

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I think it is, it does switch back and forth between the tanks, and the truck does cruise when the right tank is chosen, its when I try to accelerate to pass or just want to get on it, it acts as if it is not getting enough fuel. How would I check the switch.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think it is, it does switch back and forth between the tanks, and the truck does cruise when the right tank is chosen, its when I try to accelerate to pass or just want to get on it, it acts as if it is not getting enough fuel. How would I check the switch.
I hate to tell you this there is no easy diagnoses for this. You could have poor contacts in the switching,you could have a switching valve that leaks internally,you could have a bad connection at the tank or at the pump. First I think I'd wiggle my tank connections,then bypass the valve. Then I'd bypass electric switch to tank then I'd drop the tank and inspect for a bad connection,trash in the tank,a broken baffle.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
also check the fuel pressure on that pump....

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I did purchase a delphi pump and I was very careful to make sure the hoses were not kinked or crimped because the tank has to be dropped and I also lifted the bed off so that I could check the hoses after I put the tank back in. So this is why I'm a little confused. The left side no issue but the right side with new pump it has issues.
also check the fuel pressure on that pump....
Check pump pressure at the tank. A switching valve that's bypassing will show low pressure,but not the pumps fault

Jiblackledge

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try and see what I get for pressure.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah.Whack on it with a hammer.A little bit.

I'm Protecting The Community!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy