1987 Chevy v10 fires but won't stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdog_96

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey all, 1987 Chevy v10 will pop off but won't stay running so it's basically not starting. Issue is intermittent, timing is good because it ran fine on this timing last week, I replaced ICM and ignition coil. I am getting spark and a good fuel spray through the injectors. This is the TBI system. Seems like something electrical is preventing the start, could it be the pickup coil ? Any help appreciated, thanks

chairmnofthboard

Reaction score
First Name
Xavier
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Here are things I would think would cause the problem. fuel pump, fuel pump relay, icm (poor quality), pickup coil, coil, ignition (key), coolant temp sender (on manifold), loose cable/wire.

Are you getting any codes?

What I learned with these TBI's, Is to use the best quality parts you can get, ACdelco OE seems to be the best choice.

There's another post with somebody having a similar problem.

Cdog_96

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here are things I would think would cause the problem. fuel pump, fuel pump relay, icm (poor quality), pickup coil, coil, ignition (key), coolant temp sender (on manifold), loose cable/wire.

Are you getting any codes?

What I learned with these TBI's, Is to use the best quality parts you can get, ACdelco OE seems to be the best choice.

There's another post with somebody having a similar problem.
What I did was remove the IAC and manually close it, put it back in and started up fine, was not throwing any codes. This iac was new but Chinese brand I think, I bought a standard motor products one I couldn't find a Delco replacement

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
What I did was remove the IAC and manually close it, put it back in and started up fine, was not throwing any codes. This iac was new but Chinese brand I think, I bought a standard motor products one I couldn't find a Delco replacement
The manual says to cycle the key to on for 10sec and off for 5 sec and the start to reset the IAC. I've had better luck jumpering A and B on the ALDL and putting key to ON for 20-30 sec to let the IAC close all the way for resertinf the IAC. Pulling it out manually and then reinstalling seems to also work, just passing on some info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EddieLizLil1987