1985 K2500 Build/LS Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruisedbanana79

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Long time stalker first time poster here on the squarebody forum.

A little about myself, I have been playing and wrenching on cars majority of my life but have limited myself to mainly hot rods. Just "finished" up my 79 el camino project and started racing it in autocross this year. 383 stroker, fully worked over suspension including coil overs on all four corners. It has been a blast to build and now race. But with my wife and I having our first child a few years back driving around as a family is impossible in the el camino. So after two years of searching I finally found this burb hiding away. It is a 1985 GMC K2500 with the 6.2L diesel backed by a 700r4 and 208 transfer case.

Photos of el camino, can post up more if
You must be registered for see images attach

Once I got it home I fixed up the leaking injectors and got it running to just see how many little things will need to be repaired and in what order.

First bath

Quickly restored the single stage paint, roof needs some rust repair so I left that polishing till later:

Right now I am laying out the plan for an LS swap along with a new trans. Will post up my plan later as I want anyone and everyone to poke holes in it before I get started.

bruisedbanana79

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Brief update:

Scored an 04 Sierra 2wd with 120k. Yanked the motor and trans and sent the body off to the scrapper

Attachments

• IMG_5376.jpeg
    IMG_5376.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5386.jpeg
    IMG_5386.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 10

bruisedbanana79

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size

Cleaned up and painted the engine and trans. Still deciding on painting the valve covers to match or not.

Got pretty lucky and only had two exhaust bolts snap in half. Also took a look at the wiring and decided I will for sure go with a stand alone harness

Attachments

• IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 9

bruisedbanana79

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Listed up the 6.2 and trans for sale. Quickly ditched the 6.2 and working on the final sale of the trans.

Next update will be on a final clean up and reassembly of the engine. Tearing down and swapping output shafts and tail housings. Scrub down and repaint of engine bay and underbody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackandBlue